Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Reputation Notifications

Article about: It's just dawned on me that i don't seem to get reputation comment notifications any more, not the end of the world but i like to thank people. End of moan!...

MAP
    ?

Quote by bigmacglenn1966 View Post
    I click "Like" when I'm in agreement with the information in the post...
    I click "Thanks" when I've learned something new...
    cheers, Glenn
    And "Thanks" also when people go out of their way to provide help....
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I've never even used the "reputation" button, simply because it's so ridiculously tucked away and anonymous looking that I tend to forget it's even there. That black star is really nondescript for such a feature --- would be better having the "likes/thanks" count go towards this "rep" count imo. Not that it really matters but the more you're on here the more you start noticing these little things that could be tweaked/improved or simplified... and this is one such thing.

Whenever this subject is raised there usually follows a flurry of rep point giving amongst those who post in such threads. I think since the introduction of the likes and thanks options the rep point button has largely been overshadowed, that and the fact it is so hard to see.

I still give rep points fro posts that go beyond those deserving of a thanks or a like, usually if I learn something new of some import or a user who has gone out of their way to help others.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

I've heard that Gunny has a reputation that isn't connected with this forum in any shape or form. Reputedly, reputations are earned - not through the click of a button, but for acts of violence, bravery or good deeds. I'm not sure which category you fall into Gunny, so I have clicked on the star to try and put you on a path which climbs upwards for your good deeds and comments on this forum. May your (enhanced) reputation stand out as a glittering example of what can be achieved. (Don't forget my Christmas pressie, and click on my star too)

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    I've heard that Gunny has a reputation that isn't connected with this forum in any shape or form. Reputedly, reputations are earned - not through the click of a button, but for acts of violence, bravery or good deeds. I'm not sure which category you fall into Gunny, so I have clicked on the star to try and put you on a path which climbs upwards for your good deeds and comments on this forum. May your (enhanced) reputation stand out as a glittering example of what can be achieved. (Don't forget my Christmas pressie, and click on my star too)
    A gold ingot is in the post Steve seriously though i only posted because i noticed the reputation bars had increased in number but i couldn't remember getting any notifications, i didn't want anybody to think i was an ignorant fecker for not thanking them. I think the likes/thanks and reputation features are good and it's nice to be appreciated and appreciate other folks, as we all know we can go out of our way to provide information and you don't even get a simple thanks or kiss my ars*!...

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    A gold ingot is in the post Steve seriously though i only posted because i noticed the reputation bars had increased in number but i couldn't remember getting any notifications,
    The green bars above your avatar do not reflect any reputations that have been added by someone else. They are amassed by your post count only. If you click on "Settings" at the top right of the page, you will be able to see your latest subscribed threads as well as your latest reputations received and your total points.
    The last time this was brought up, some went wild on repping others and I believe there were a few bans as a result.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

I had no idea that that was how this worked --- an odd thing for sure... I would have thought "reputation" points would have been what was reflected with the different titles that appear when hovering over those green bars, not simply the post count. Seems redundant to me as there's an actual post counter below... a minor thing but it's obvious that this is not the first time this seemingly pointless feature causes some confusion. Quality over quantity and all that.

Quote by slados28 View Post
    Seems redundant to me as there's an actual post counter below... a minor thing but it's obvious that this is not the first time this seemingly pointless feature causes some confusion. Quality over quantity and all that.
    The only time it causes confusion is with people do not understand what is going on. Some people can not even understand enough to read and use the "Sticky's" at the top of each section.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

Quote by rbminis View Post
    The green bars above your avatar do not reflect any reputations that have been added by someone else. They are amassed by your post count only. If you click on "Settings" at the top right of the page, you will be able to see your latest subscribed threads as well as your latest reputations received and your total points.
    The last time this was brought up, some went wild on repping others and I believe there were a few bans as a result.
    Ralph.
    The reputation points are really a waste of time IMO. It simply encourages back-patting or rocks to be thrown. A while back for a few new members who posted thier bad helmets and I reviewed as such, I received negative reputation points. One fellow had his buddy join for the express purpose of giving me negative rep points.

I dont need a forum points system to tell my what my reputation is. If people are being an arse, members will tell them directly. If members are shilling fakes, members will make it known. If people know what they are talking about, members will LIke their posts.

There can be a limit to the "interactivity" and social functions that makes sense and when it gets to be overkill it makes no sense, just my opinion.

Quote by rbminis View Post
    The only time it causes confusion is with people do not understand what is going on. Some people can not even understand enough to read and use the "Sticky's" at the top of each section.
    Ralph.
    A redundant collection of ever increasing green bars following your posting volume is pointless --- therefore somewhat "confusing". Especially seeing as these green bars show comments when hovering over them seemingly alluding to some kind of reputation or status of "progress" even when these two things have NOTHING to do with each other. Reputation points are also marked with these same green bars under the settings menu --- doesn't make any logical sense = confusing.

And, maybe I'm seriously misreading you here, but was that tone really necessary? I mean, insinuating that people are stupid for being slightly confused by a feature that makes no sense/has no purpose seems kind of unwarranted...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast