Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Test Photo Feedback?

Article about: Traded in my 30mm F3.5 Macro lens for a 50mm F2.8mm lens. The "sales pitch" was that I should be able to take better macro photos with a better depth of field due to being able to

MAP
    ?

Default Test Photo Feedback?

Traded in my 30mm F3.5 Macro lens for a 50mm F2.8mm lens. The "sales pitch" was that I should be able to take better macro photos with a better depth of field due to being able to take pictures from a farther distance.

Not sure if I'm so crazy about it. Much more difficult to use for an extreme amateur like me.

Much more difficult to take non-blurry photos with no tripod vs the old 30mm lens. (I have a tripod already but it doesn't let me get in real close inside the light box). I do think that I now need a more flexible tripod and a shutter release cable...more money spent. I should just get the new Google Pixel phone........LoL

Also can't get those really close shots of just a few millimeters away of say a hinge or catch...or at least haven't mastered it yet

So....What do you think of the photos? I'm I asking too much of this lens?

Are they any good?

Double Click to enlarge.

Thanks!

Michael

Test Photo Feedback?

Test Photo Feedback?

Test Photo Feedback?

Test Photo Feedback?
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

looks great..
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

I think the photos are good. It always takes a little time to get used to DSLR's.

You can also add some final touches with Photoshop or a similar program, for example. I adjusted the lighting, contrast and sharpness in your photo a little bit:

Test Photo Feedback?

Nice image Michael - though I know what you mean
    about trying to stabilize a camera in your hands.
    I solved the problem by picking up a very small
    tripod at the local dollar store, though I don't
    always use it, lol.........
    Regards,

Steve.

MAP
    ?

Thanks guys.

Yes, I did not adjust anything with the photos. Just the raw image.

Here are a few others that I just took to see how close I can get.... As noted, I can't get as close as the 30mm lens but you can see that with some editing (crop/enlarge and sharpness) they are pretty decent. I did not adjust the brightness.

If I can get a better and more stable platform I'm sure I can get sharper images. Plus my eyes are not so great and manual focus is hard (auto focus at the extreme close up level doesn't work)

Untouched Photo 1

Test Photo Feedback?

Untouched Photo 2

Test Photo Feedback?

Untouched Photo 3

Test Photo Feedback?

Photo 4 - Cropped from photo 3 above

Test Photo Feedback?

Photo 5 -Cropped and sharpness enhance from Photo 3

Test Photo Feedback?

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

You seem to be getting the hang of it pretty quick! Looks like it will work out good.

MAP
    ?

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    Nice image Michael - though I know what you mean
    about trying to stabilize a camera in your hands.
    I solved the problem by picking up a very small
    tripod at the local dollar store, though I don't
    always use it, lol.........
    Yes was looking at the small tripod but they typically aren't big/tall enough with the macro lens attached.

This is my basic set up with the reflective front flap up for the photo. It is a huge light box at 31 inches square with bright built in LED lighting. Most are 16 to 24 inches (and yes ...down a messy unfinished basement). You can see the problem with the tripod and thus I typically will jury/jerry rig a platform to get the item up close as I can't get it into the light box.

They sell a tripod with an actuating arm that should work but then I would also need to shutter release cable...as said...more $$$$$

I'm just trying to take the most detailed photos I can.

Test Photo Feedback?

Test Photo Feedback?

MAP
    ?

Quote by carpediem View Post
    You seem to be getting the hang of it pretty quick! Looks like it will work out good.
    I'm just massively critical of my own photos and want to produce the sharpest photos I can get so everyone can use as a reference.

Compared to a year ago these are light years better but having no photography training I know I still have a ways to go.

Quote by MAP View Post
    I'm just massively critical of my own photos and want to produce the sharpest photos I can get so everyone can use as a reference.

Compared to a year ago these are light years better but having no photography training I know I still have a ways to go.
    I know the feeling. I suck at taking photos with my DSLR and my scanner doesn't provide scans that are bright enough when scanning awards.

I'm very meticulous when it comes to photos, so it's hell, lol.

MAP
    ?

good threads......

Aperture settings and photos.

Taking GREAT Shots of Militaria, TIPS, Technical Details, etc. Sticky?

In this day and age with all the fakes out there high quality photos are a great tool to provide authentication.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast