Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

URGENT - Classified section scam!!!! FORUM STAFF NEEDED IMMEDIATELY

Article about: On the 24th I got this message here from a member with 3 posts: "Default sell hello my friend ... what do you have to sell? I'm from Brazil ... I wanted coins, medals, ammunition, cante

Default Re: URGENT - Classified section scam!!!! FORUM STAFF NEEDED IMMEDIATELY

On the 24th I got this message here from a member with 3 posts:

"Default sell

hello my friend ... what do you have to sell?
    I'm from Brazil ... I wanted coins, medals, ammunition, canteen, etc. ..thank"

I did tell him to go the classifieds as he might get lucky there.
    [COLOR="#EE82EE"]I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I'm out of control, and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.
    Marilyn Monroe[/COLOR]

Well, I also got similar question: what do You have for sell recently. But I also do not understand how this scam can work? If You will get paid via PayPal the only risk is that You will send item out but the buyer will fill a claim against you and says that he has not got the package or the package just contained rocks and mud. In many cases then You will lost Your money and also Your item because PayPal just will refund the money.

Quote by Little Mermaid View Post
    On the 24th I got this message here from a member with 3 posts:

"Default sell

hello my friend ... what do you have to sell?
    I'm from Brazil ... I wanted coins, medals, ammunition, canteen, etc. ..thank"

I did tell him to go the classifieds as he might get lucky there.
    Just what i got!

?

Quote by bigmacglenn1966 View Post
    About 4 days ago I received a message asking me what I had for sale, which I thought was odd as I don't have anything for sale at the moment...
    I had a bad feeling and didn't respond...
    cheers, Glenn
    Same here The username is "docRoe" and he is online now. Never thought much of it.

Cheers

Nigerian scam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    This is quite interesting!...

Doc Roe was the name of the medic character in the Band of Brothers Mini-series & book. ( Eugene Roe )
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

We really ought to do something about this. What do you guys think of a minimum post count before you are allowed to view and use the classifieds? I don't think it would need to be too much, but just enough for us to be able to know that a person is a serious collector. Maybe 50 posts?

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    We really ought to do something about this. What do you guys think of a minimum post count before you are allowed to view and use the classifieds? I don't think it would need to be too much, but just enough for us to be able to know that a person is a serious collector. Maybe 50 posts?
    I agree, but then you risk users just putting up mundane posts or comments just to get their point's up

Quote by bigmacglenn1966 View Post
    About 4 days ago I received a message asking me what I had for sale, which I thought was odd as I don't have anything for sale at the moment...
    I had a bad feeling and didn't respond...
    cheers, Glenn
    Same here....

Quote by Adrian View Post
    Can someone please explain how the scam works?
    Adrian,

Don't know the specifics of this one as I have never really fallen for it. I will share my Nigerian experience though, and I believe this to be along the same lines. I had something for sale on eBay (speakers for a girlfriend of mine at the time) and let's say new these things went for $400 - I received a message from another "new" eBay member saying he'd pay $450 for them if I ended the auction early. I replied and said I had no problem with that and would do so when cash arrived in hand. The buyer sent me a Nigerian address, and said his private shipping company would pick up the package right after he paid (DHL was the shipping company this particular individual used)

I then got an e-mail from Western Union saying I had funds waiting to be picked up. My gut (for no real apparent reason) just told me to look into this before letting the speakers go out the door. I called Western Union to verify I had funds waiting and they had ZERO record of anything of the sort. I forward the e-mail the Nigerian individual sent to the Western Union representative, who informed me it was a near perfect fraudulent copy. Two minutes later DHL knocked on the door to pick up the speakers (which of course I refused to release)

So, that's how this scam works, people just send out their products to a Nigerian address (that only really pays the shipping on them) and people think they're getting paid but by the time they figure it out, their products have already been handed over to DHL, who is very efficient and while they have nothing to do with the scam, gets packages out of the country ASAP as that's their job.

Don't know if this story helped you or not, but I would tend to believe the e-mail I received via the forum, and others I have gotten through Craigslist are along the same lines, i.e. receive a paypal payment e-mail that is a dead-on copy but there are no actual funds in your account. Don't know for sure, and I am only speculating. I would advise all members of this forum to steer clear of any incoming messages like this. I would assume just ignoring them is the most effective response.

That help at all???

William Kramer

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast