Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

URGENT - Classified section scam!!!! FORUM STAFF NEEDED IMMEDIATELY

Article about: On the 24th I got this message here from a member with 3 posts: "Default sell hello my friend ... what do you have to sell? I'm from Brazil ... I wanted coins, medals, ammunition, cante

Default Re: URGENT - Classified section scam!!!! FORUM STAFF NEEDED IMMEDIATELY

Not quite sure i get the "jist" of this really? Any Western Union payment can be verified online, when you track a money transfer : https://wumt.westernunion.com/WUCOMW...xtSecurePage=Y
    After you see that the number you were sent is not bogus, and that the funds are really waiting, you go to a WU counter and pick up available funds. After that, you ship out the item.
    Or are there still folk who are shipping out items to folk they dont know before they have the cash in-hand?
    Dont mean to sound belittling to anyone, but if you are, then you cant really complain when someone takes advantage of your, kind nature.
    I would only ship out to someone in advance if i had done a bit of business with them before.

Quote by Datrus View Post
    Same here The username is "docRoe" and he is online now. Never thought much of it.

Cheers
    I didnt want to name names hence why I left his name out.
    [COLOR="#EE82EE"]I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I'm out of control, and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.
    Marilyn Monroe[/COLOR]

Quote by all1knew View Post
    Adrian,

Don't know the specifics of this one as I have never really fallen for it. I will share my Nigerian experience though, and I believe this to be along the same lines. I had something for sale on eBay (speakers for a girlfriend of mine at the time) and let's say new these things went for $400 - I received a message from another "new" eBay member saying he'd pay $450 for them if I ended the auction early. I replied and said I had no problem with that and would do so when cash arrived in hand. The buyer sent me a Nigerian address, and said his private shipping company would pick up the package right after he paid (DHL was the shipping company this particular individual used)

I then got an e-mail from Western Union saying I had funds waiting to be picked up. My gut (for no real apparent reason) just told me to look into this before letting the speakers go out the door. I called Western Union to verify I had funds waiting and they had ZERO record of anything of the sort. I forward the e-mail the Nigerian individual sent to the Western Union representative, who informed me it was a near perfect fraudulent copy. Two minutes later DHL knocked on the door to pick up the speakers (which of course I refused to release)

So, that's how this scam works, people just send out their products to a Nigerian address (that only really pays the shipping on them) and people think they're getting paid but by the time they figure it out, their products have already been handed over to DHL, who is very efficient and while they have nothing to do with the scam, gets packages out of the country ASAP as that's their job.

Don't know if this story helped you or not, but I would tend to believe the e-mail I received via the forum, and others I have gotten through Craigslist are along the same lines, i.e. receive a paypal payment e-mail that is a dead-on copy but there are no actual funds in your account. Don't know for sure, and I am only speculating. I would advise all members of this forum to steer clear of any incoming messages like this. I would assume just ignoring them is the most effective response.

That help at all???

William Kramer
    That's how it works, just substitute Western Union for Paypal, the fraudster fakes the e-mail, and if you're not careful, you lose your shirt. There are forever changing wrinkles on this theme as they refine their scams, so be careful!!

Two things to bear in mind are:

1. Paypal NEVER holds funds. See that in an e-mail allegedly from them and it's bogus.

2. The fraudsters nearly always use '*******@gmail.com' as their e-mail account, because the IP address CANNOT be traced back to them.

Remembering those two facts alone can save a lot of heartache and money.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

I had a similar message from docRoe wanting 'badge coins patch'.
    He seems to be very new at this.........
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Quote by Little Mermaid View Post
    I didnt want to name names hence why I left his name out.
    Well, you did not mention any names. I did

Cheers

?

Thanks William.

Knowing how these things work are an education to anyone not familiar with who they might deal with in the future.

And if members such as myself are blissfully unaware of these scams through not having been approached it will hopefully help someone down the line.

If any members have been approached in this way by another member here, please let me know by PM and I will check it out.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

May not be 100% relevant but this is a snippet from a online auction site on how to spot shill bidding:

How to spot shill bidding...

The following are some warning signs to look for:

The Devoted Bidder.

A bidder who bids exclusively or nearly exclusively on one or two sellers' items yet rarely wins. It is true that many people lowball their bids on one seller's auctions hoping to win a bargain. Usually, however, the items are similar products perhaps this seller's specialty and the bidder hopes to get a bargain on shipping as well by buying all from the same person(s).

However, the "devoted bidder" is especially indicative of shilling when the items are varied. It is highly unlikely, for example, that a bidder just happens to need a quilt, a man's suit, a woman's dress, a backpack, 2 laptops, a lamp, and a slot machine, among other items, just at the same time as one seller happens to have all of those items up for auction!

How do you find out if the ID you suspect is a "devoted bidder"? Do a Bidder Search on the User ID, using the eBay Search link located on the top navigation bar of almost every eBay page. Sellers' names are now listed on the Bidder List page, so you can quickly and easily see if the bidder prefers one (or two) seller(s).

Bidding to Lose.

Question: When you want something that has an opening or current bid of, say, £10.00, and you're willing to pay around £20.00 for it, would you put in a proxy bid of £19.99? Of course not. That would be stupid, you answer. You'd go with the even £20, or, if you're really smart, maybe £21.00 or £23.00, or even £20.37, just to throw other bidders for a loop and increase your chances of winning. Maybe you'll even bid £15 now and watch the auction to see if you need to bid £20 later. But £19.99? Who wants to risk losing by a penny? So what is the putz that bid £19.99 doing? This is a "loser bid". It is specifically designed to lose, not to win. It's guesswork shilling, hoping to push another bidder (that's you) up to the next increment, or--if they're really brazen--your max.

Be careful! The amount of the "loser bid" depends on a) the opening bid and b) the current high bid (determined by other bidders). It's NOT unreasonable to bid £19.99 when the opening or current high bid is £9.99. Also, you may get confused about which bidder is a potential shill. Make sure to check the time and date of bids. You can find this information in the Bid History, after the auction is over, from the link on the main listing page.

Similarity of Seller & Bidder IDs.

This is something you'll only come across by chance, and you sometimes need to take the category into account. Watch for alliteration and initials, as well. For (fictitious) example, "tjbrown" might have a shill ID "tomjohnbrown@anymail.com". This is the type of similarity you should report as a potential shill. Sometimes the similarity is based on common interest, however. Another fictitious example: Seller "mario-rules!" has a bid from user ID "ilovemario!". Seller "mario-rules!" sells (you guessed it) Mario products. Check the other warning signs if you want, but the ID similarity is probably purely innocent and based on a common interest. If you see that "ilovemario!" is also buying a Laptop from "mario-rules!", however, you should probably report it to eBay.

Seller is too quick to relist.

When items are accidentally won by a shill account, they are often relisted soon after auction closes. This is particularly salient for non-duplicable items: handmade, unique, or rare/hard-to-find items, especially antiques, art, and collectibles. Though it does happen that a high bidder refuses an auction immediately after winning, it is more likely that they'll string the seller along for at least a few days. Relisting in fewer than 3 days is far too soon to not activate your radar.

How do you know the item has been relisted? Far be it from a shiller to eat the listing fees on an unsold item. That just wouldn't be fair. The shiller will likely relist using the eBay relist function in order to get their listing fees back. Therefore, the original listing page will have a link to the new auction. Of course, their intelligence may for once override their greed, and they might start up a whole new ad, which can be found in the current seller history.

Shotgun feedback.

Feedback is exchanged during a curiously short period of time (3 days at the outside). Feedback between shill and seller ID is known as "shill feedback"--a little consolation prize for the seller who accidentally wins their own auction. Few find it easy to resist. These days, with instant payments more and more common, it is really only the bidder-to-seller feedback that counts here. Which is just as well, because
    it's the seller (the primary account) who's usually the lucky feedback recipient.

It is possible for a bidder to receive an item and leave feedback within 3 days (it happened to me once by the good graces of the Royal Mail Fairy). Possible, but not common. Look for other indicators, such as fast relisting, and use your own judgement. It won't hurt anything to report it--the seller will get to explain to eBay.

Numerous Retractions.

More than 3 in a 6-month period and you have the right to be suspicious. Let's face it: anyone truly that stupid or careless should not be using eBay. I mean, considering that after the first time you bid £1000 instead of £10 you needed to change your shorts...would you really let it happen again? The bid retraction option has been the favourite tool of shillers since the beginning. The shill bids outrageously high in order to reveal your maximum, then retracts and either: gives some lame retraction explanation like "oops, wrong amount" and bids again just under your max, or gives some lame retraction explanation like "don't want it", signs in under another account, and bids just under your max.

Since the number of bid retractions now shows up in your feedback profile, it is significantly less popular. We see more and more shillers using the guesswork technique, chipping away slowly at other bidders' proxy maximums. However, the newbie criminals still use it. Report 'em and nip 'em in the bud while they're young.

Nibbling.

Nibbling is when you see someone who has placed a series of bids one after another, upping their bid a little each time.
    If this has resulted in the bidder winning the auction then it is a often not a problem and is just an indication of a bidder who does not understand how the proxy bidding process works, or had no fixed maximum price.
    When the nibbler has retracted their highest bid leaving another bidder as the winner then you are looking at suspicious activity.

?

If the scammer said about the courier it looks like a Nigerian author.
    Simple way- he say you that he will pay you for item, but you just need to pay the expenses for the " courier" first, as it will be around of 20-50 USD, but after you pay - they will disappear.
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

Quote by Adrian View Post
    Can someone please explain how the scam works?
    With PayPal if you can not supply proof of shipping, ie the item is actually picked up from you or your residence, then you have no proof of shipping the item. The buyer simply starts a claim that they have not received the item, PayPal will then contact you as the seller asking for documented proof of shipping, you cant supply that and the buyer gets a refund... If you sell and receive payment via PayPal, never allow pick up as an option.

Hope that helps someone.

Quote by TestMatch View Post
    With PayPal if you can not supply proof of shipping, ie the item is actually picked up from you or your residence, then you have no proof of shipping the item. The buyer simply starts a claim that they have not received the item, PayPal will then contact you as the seller asking for documented proof of shipping, you cant supply that and the buyer gets a refund... If you sell and receive payment via PayPal, never allow pick up as an option.

Hope that helps someone.
    BINGO, and I am willing to bet that's how things would progress with the original e-mail:

I want to purchase your item is still available for sale,What is the last asking price,I will like to pay using PayPal,After payments has been made,I will arrange for the pick-up and will you let my pick-up agent to come to you house for the pick up?Because i don't want you to worry yourself about the shipment,Kindly get back with more pictures.

They'll gladly pay your asking price, have the item picked-up by a courier and you have no way yourself to prove the item shipped once the paypal.com claim is started. They get the item, and you get the shaft.

William Kramer

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast