Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Whats in a name?

Article about: Hi guys, I'm not trying to be a damp sponge here but it really can be confusing when folk have similar ( almost identical ) usernames. Currently we have 'Sgt Rock' ( joined in March who many

Default Whats in a name?

Hi guys, I'm not trying to be a damp sponge here but it really can be confusing when folk have similar ( almost identical ) usernames.

Currently we have 'Sgt Rock' ( joined in March who many of us have known for a long time on GHW using that name ) and now a new member called 'SgtRock' ( no gap ) joined up this month. Now THAT is confusing!!!

Last year we has a short lived member called 'LaryC' who some confused with our blade expert & moderator 'Larry C'
    This ( I think ) turned out to be rather disruptive.

When we join up there is no way to check if our username is (almost ) the same as someone else but dang, it can lead to confusion when it is!!!

Just an observation tech guys - maybe some code can be written to prevent "close calls"?????
    Regards, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Hi Dan, certain usernames are blocked. But to write a code to block variants of existing names would take days! We have about 14,000 members when I last looked.....

When people join up the onus is on them. If your option of username is already taken, it is frankly foolish to pick something very similar.

I can change anyone's username if they send me a PM and request it.

Obviously, anyone we discover with an objectionable username we do ask them to choose another one, or leave.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

I see Ade, thanks.

I just felt that because one 'Sarge' is a very experienced helmet guy and another 'sarge' may be a new player ( no offence new sarge ) and the character of Sgt Rock is of course is BOTH their avatars.......... well, you get my point.

Regards, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "