Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Why are people so paranoid?

Article about: I much prefer folks to use their real names where ever possible. All the serious collectors here tend to sign off with their first names. I do find it a real turn off when I help people with

Default Re: Why are people so paranoid?

Quote by sandgroper View Post
    I have wondered Kris but have been too embarassed to ask in case it was someone famous that I should know!
    You should! ;-) (lol!!)

It is Henry Morton Stanley!
    I know not a commoun picture of him! I was also facinated by his headwear, volksjager.
    cheers
    |<ris
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

I think nick names and avatars as in use our days can be seen (in a way and to my opinion!!)like a modern form of heraldry or blazonry.
    Just like in old times when knights were in title of wearing a coat of arms, that coat of arms with is blazoon was to be read in a certain way.
    A curving line stoud for a river where the knight lived, a camel for his campaign in the dessert against the Arabian's and so on....
    I choose Stanley for the best part of my live I spended in places that he had discovered, the impression I got when I stood at the memorial stone of the place were Stanley and Livingstone met is something I will never forget, imagine the middle of no where and my father telling me he was goign to take me to "the memorial" ...;it was a engraved stone we had to search among high grass!
    But back on track; I also choose it for the unifrom he wears and my passion for militaria.
    I chose the nick name for it having the word stuka in it an refearing to WWII plane's witch I love by it's form and the story my grandparents told me about theyre frightning diving maneuver and sound.
    And by adding the "f" it means "broken" in Flemish witch have to do with restorations I do for a living. And also means "lunatic" something most of friends call me seing what a collect or how, where and wen I drive my bike! ;-)
    cheers
    |<ris
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

That is a very thorough explanation Kris - not that you owed me or anyone else one - but it is great to know!

Larry: Thanks for a very interesting and entertaining reply. You must have been a psych major. Actually, I don't believe that anyone hides behind an Avatar. To me, an avatar is a kind of logo that one uses to express his interest area. The avatar, as a logo, provides a viewer with an immediately recognizable identity. My primary interest area is the Kaiserliche-Marine, so I use the old imperial eagle. The pseudyonyms often express an interest as well as something about the user's image of himself or herself. That's all well and good, but I am always a bit put-off when someone posts something and doesn't sign-off with his or her name. I know that people have reasons for not using their first names for signing off, but I was curious to know what the reasons are, ergo, this thread. And this thread has been successful in providing those answeres, which has been interesting and educational. I am looking forward to reading more replies. Dwight

Hi Dwight,, your welcome no doubt! and I return the same thanks back to you as your topic has been quite amusing also and has lifted my spirits. I think after 64 posts you pretty much answered what everyone else was saying in the beginning when you said"To me, an avatar is a kind of logo that one uses to express his interest area. The avatar, as a logo, provides a viewer with an immediately recognizable identity." Sadly though the world will not change nor those who want to protect their historical artifact/ investments from thievery and scam artists. Some are fortunate not to be affected and some,,, trouble finds them. Unless the artifact is a very common item with no extra-ordinary characteristics,, then I am Pro-watermarking! Nothing wrong with it. I am sure you and I have seen many others collectibles up forsale somewhere,, when that same person you know still has it in His or Her possession. A thief deserves no credit for someone elses hard work,, yea Im pro-gun too! What related artifacts do you like to collect from the Kaiserliche-Marine period?,,..as there was so many institutions and branches to the German Navy. I have seen so much interesting examples and passions from those who collect it,, and how is the weather out on the west coast as we finally got a warm up here in the East! Best regards to you Dwight..good chat. Larry

?

I am guilty for changing my avatar an a regular basis. And my username just about means that I like history alot. But I always add my name to the bottem of a post and my signature is also pretty eye-catching

Cheers, Pat

I have an unhealthy interest in guns and militaria, very quiet, with no friends. I am very paranoid which is why I only post from a number of unregistered mobile phones in the middle of a field next to running water wearing foil lined clothing. My user name is to throw you off the scent, I have nothing to do with grime or boxes (or do I?) and the silk map of France on my avatar is to confuse you over my location (or is it?). You will never find me or track me down (not even that Ade Stevenson who knows everything!), AHA, HA HA!!!

(I get called a lot of names - and I mean a lot - Grimebox is one of the more polite, however, you can call me what you like, I respond to most things)

?

The epitome of paranoia! Tin foil hat grade paranoia

How do you know about my tin foil hat - are you watching me?

?

We are all watching you: You forgot to turn your webcam off!

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast