Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Admiral of the Fleet Tunic and Hat

Article about: by kewo and it is from the 1960's ( no exact date yet) I would very much like to hear the explanation to why the uniform has three rows of buttons instead of four - which admiral uniforms ha

?

Default Re: Admiral of the Fleet Tunic and Hat

more photos
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Admiral of the Fleet Tunic and Hat   Admiral of the Fleet Tunic and Hat  

Admiral of the Fleet Tunic and Hat   Admiral of the Fleet Tunic and Hat  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Admiral of the Fleet Tunic and Hat
    P
    Many

First. Arsenij Golovko never held the rank of Admiral of the Fleet of the Soviet Union. Your uniform is supposed to be a uniform of that rank. Only three persons were AFSU. Golovko was "admiral" which means three 'stars' on the shoulders and three stripes plus a thicker stripe on the sleeve and the standard collar embroidery.

Admiral of the Fleet of the Soviet Union - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    (If that one is not enough, I can recommend the book Marshals and Fleet Admirals of the Soviet Union by Anatolij Kutsenko.)

Second, about the buttons. Present day Russian Federation admirals have three rows of buttons. Russia and Soviet Union is not the same thing. Soviet era admiral uniforms had four rows, period. This was for 1960s and 1980s admiral uniforms alike. I attached a photo to the post of the AFSU uniforms as per the 1959 regulations. Please do the math on the number of buttons.

The belt is an officers belt, which differs from an admirals belt by the fact that the belt buckle is one part instead of two pieces (admirals). The center part of an admirals belt works as the connecting piece.

I get the impression that the embroideries are sewn on separate cloth pieces which are then added on top of the collar cloth. Is this the case?

I am sorry, but I stand by my opinion, your entire uniform is made up from parts and the fact that Golovko did not hold the rank of AFSU makes the widow story a rather bad story.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Admiral of the Fleet Tunic and Hat  
    Attached Images Attached Images Admiral of the Fleet Tunic and Hat 

?

Arseniy Grigoriyevich Golovko (Russian: Арсений Григорьевич Головко) (June 10, 1906 – May 17, 1962) was a Soviet admiral, whose naval service extended from the 1920s through the early Cold War.

He entered the Soviet Navy in 1925 and graduated in 1928 from the naval officer school in Leningrad. After that he served in various Fleet assignments. In 1937 and 1938 he took part in the Spanish Civil War on the side of the Republicans. After his return to the USSR he attended the naval warfare school. From 1940 to 1946, during the "Great Patriotic War" (World War II), he was Commander of the Northern Fleet.

After the war he held various naval commands, among them Commander of the Baltic Fleet. In 1956 he was named Acting Commander-in-Chief of the Soviet Fleet.

For his services, Golovko received the Order of Lenin four times and the Order of the Red Banner four times (twice with the Order of Ushakov). He also was decorated numerous times with other domestic and foreign orders and medals.

His wife was the distinguished Russian actress Kira Golovko, his daughter Natalia Golovko is also an actress

* This article incorporates material from translated Russian Wikipedia

He did not hold the rank Admiral of Fleet of USSR, what exactly is your point with the copy-paste?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Admiral...e_Soviet_Union

Golovko was "admiral" which is two steps below AFSU (one step prior to 1962).

?

he was Commander of the Northern Fleet. ok not admiral in the USSR. he became that later - and that is the era where this uniform is from.

still i claim this to be genuin - as the ones handeling this uniform are know collectors - and that i have the word of the current owner that it comes from the widow.

i will dig deeper into this and get the facts straight.

I have presented to you the list of all three persons who held that rank and frankly, if you cannot read from that list that Golovko is not one of them, then there is no use to even discuss it.

Being the CiC of a fleet does not mean you have to be Admiral of the Fleet of USSR, probably not even Admiral of the Fleet. Chernavin, who was the last head of the entire fleet, held the rank of Admiral Flota, he was never made Admiral of the Fleet of USSR.

But please dig as deep as you wish and present me, us, with a photo of Golovko wearing this uniform, with the wrong number of buttons, and we're back on track. No serious collector who has done his homework would make this kind of claim, widow story or not.

Kewo,

Regretfully, you do need to perform a bit more "homework" and to get the "facts straight"...

The "Widow Story" is a successfully tried and tested means of deception - in any genre & facet of this hobby.

I mean no disrespect nor condescension with my above words. And no one wishes for you to be "shoed" away from future participation here due to negative opinions concerning the item in question.

It is a pleasure for us to have you as a member here, and we are here to learn from one another.

For education's sake; kindly enlighten the forum members further concerning: "(the ones handeling this uniform are) these know collectors - and that i have the word of the current owner that it comes from the widow"

The moral of my post is to ask questions first, BEFORE YOU BUY.
    Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam!

Quote by RichieC View Post
    For education's sake; kindly enlighten the forum members further concerning: "(the ones handeling this uniform are) these know collectors - and that i have the word of the current owner that it comes from the widow"

The moral of my post is to ask questions first, BEFORE YOU BUY.
    Agreed. If you're not the current owner kewo, then do not buy this set. If you already have, you should ask to return it.

?

I am sorry.

Here is the one we are talking about....

My bad here..

Sergey Gorshkov - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

?

and it is from the 1960's ( no exact date yet)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast