MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

WW2 Russian Navy Dress Dagger?

Article about: Since my recent good luck with the helmet I thought I would put this on to see if it is up to much. It is barely readable but the blade is marked at the top with what looks like HM3 within a

Default Re: WW2 Russian Navy Dress Dagger?

Richie,

Thanks again for the heads up.

I was stationed here most of my life except for the odd sunshine trip with your fellow countrymen.

I have just retired last year and have settled over here.

I expect the later hanger is not wrong as it was probably used after the war as well? We had some officers that had family swords in the unit so is it safe to assume the Russians probably still use a similar pattern today?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WW2 Russian Navy Dress Dagger?
    P
    Many

Al,

You know what kids are like, I think he's being rebliouse but secretly he thinks my stuff is cool. I want to get him a Jap sword but I wouldn't know where to start. One of the lads in my last unit had one from his Grandfather, condition was at best 'tired' but he wouldn't part with it, fair enough really as it is quite shocking what people will do for a quick buck and then the family history is gone.

Quote by jock auld View Post

I expect the later hanger is not wrong as it was probably used after the war as well?
    It is certainly possible. The former owner could have indeed been a GPW veteran who continued serving well into 1950X and even into 1960X with the same dagger at his side despite all the uniform regulation changes...
    Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam!

?

Quote by jock auld View Post
    Al,

You know what kids are like, I think he's being rebliouse but secretly he thinks my stuff is cool. I want to get him a Jap sword but I wouldn't know where to start. One of the lads in my last unit had one from his Grandfather, condition was at best 'tired' but he wouldn't part with it, fair enough really as it is quite shocking what people will do for a quick buck and then the family history is gone.
    jock
    they are heirlooms , i was told you never own a japanese sword , your only it`s keeper ! My one has an old koto period (500 plus years old ) family blade fitted with shin gunto ww11 fittings.Back to your dirk , i saw one like yours that was dated 1954 on an auction site starting at £140 -£160 and it had the same hangers as yours , ie the smaller buckles ! So i agree with Richie that the same dirk pattern could have been used through those periods.

Al

Cheers Al.

With that in mind do we really ever own anything? Its too deep for me! I do know I own this Glenmorangie single malt at least for 1/2 hour anyway!!!

?

nice one jock , i think i`ll join you , i`ve got to go to a mates funeral in the morning !!! cheers Al

Al,

That rather deppressing, I'm not good at these things so all I will say is I hope the arrangements go well and hang one on remembering the good times.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2