Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Argentine Helmet 82 Falklands Malvinas war

Article about: In case it gets missed in a old post. Hi & hello to you all. Can anyone here give me some more info on a Argentine Helmet from 82 I know for certain it is genuine from a Argentine surviv

Default Argentine Helmet 82 Falklands Malvinas war

Argentine Helmet 82 Falklands Malvinas warIn case it gets missed in a old post.
    Hi & hello to you all.

Can anyone here give me some more info on a Argentine Helmet from 82
    I know for certain it is genuine from a Argentine survivor in the war, I always presumed it was ex Vietnam but that was only because someone said it at the time and it sounded credible enough.
    First time in 33 years the thing has been taken apart to photo.
    Argentine Helmet 82 Falklands Malvinas warArgentine Helmet 82 Falklands Malvinas warArgentine Helmet 82 Falklands Malvinas warArgentine Helmet 82 Falklands Malvinas war

Anyone know for sure if this is American or Argentine manufacture, or a mix?

?

Look's like a classic example of an Argentine used M1, the liner appears to be an FM made liner and I have one very similar with a 100% provenance in my collection, so I am confident in saying it look's great to me

Quote by Opex View Post
    Look's like a classic example of an Argentine used M1, the liner appears to be an FM made liner and I have one very similar with a 100% provenance in my collection, so I am confident in saying it look's great to me
    Just looking on ebay and there is a (supposed shrapnel damaged one) helmet placed up in a pretty macabre /child like fashion
    But that thing has a bid of £200

Saw another

If I had of known I would have filled my bag with helmets instead of their jockey cigs, chocolate bars and whiskey shots.
    That lot ended up in the ocean outside Southampton, I bottled it last minute on the supposed threat of customs (there was none) at Southampton docks.
    I could have got through with a few helmets.
    Never mind, the old ifs and buts.

Do you mind telling me how much you paid for your one.

I am only selling mine for a worthy cause but want to get as much as possible.

?

Quote by fighting irish View Post
    Just looking on ebay and there is a (supposed shrapnel damaged one) helmet placed up in a pretty macabre /child like fashion
    But that thing has a bid of £200

Saw another

If I had of known I would have filled my bag with helmets instead of their jockey cigs, chocolate bars and whiskey shots.
    That lot ended up in the ocean outside Southampton, I bottled it last minute on the supposed threat of customs (there was none) at Southampton docks.
    I could have got through with a few helmets.
    Never mind, the old ifs and buts.

Do you mind telling me how much you paid for your one.

I am only selling mine for a worthy cause but want to get as much as possible.
    Hi, I got one example from a mate who was a medic attached to the RMC, so it was a bring back, the other I bought off ebay a few years ago, which from memory was about £20-£30.

But...these genre of Helmets are worth considerably more than £30 in my opinion, I have seen some examples sell for at least a hundred, so that might be a ball park figure!

Either way, these are highly desirable helmets, and worth every penny

Thanks for the info.
    I think you are correct, they are worth considerably more, at least ones that have proof it actually was a war helmet like mine.

Eventually the Falklands will be looked back as a bit different to most recent so called 'wars'
    They had airplanes for a start!
    Take in the distance to travel there (two weeks full steam on the way back) logistics meant it was a war that could have gone either way.
    I can personally testify that their Pilots were as professional and as brave as any, if they had of hit the Canberra early on and they could have! It would have been a longer war if not different outcome.
    But that's only based on my being there, and not really interested in debating it lol

Anyway a friend of mine has listed it on ebay for me, and we'll see how it goes.
    They have told me one (not as good) went for £395 this year and one that up now has a bid of 254 (without any supplied proof) which without wishing to sound cynical without proof could just as easily had a angle grinder on it.

I am only selling to help out others with some money, but in no rush to sell it for peanuts or the price of a 'supposed' helmet
    I nearly lost my life more than once before I could acquire it.

?

Nice helmet I may like a go my self at this M-1 to add it to my shelf would you mind posting the link to the E-Bay auction or send me a PM with the details.

Regards Mark

I see this helmet is now on Ebay starting price £250

?

Thanx IMO the price is on the high end it will be interesting to see how it makes out.

Regards Mark

If it don't sell I am going to make it worth more money by getting the dremel out and say its battle damaged.
    I wont make the same mistake of any smooth lines! I have seen what cluster grenades and bombs do.
    Have a spectacular photo of what one did to a barn out there.

I might even say it was rolled down a hill along with a head towards Port Stanley by some Ghurka

But then that's a story (minus the helmet) already tried, according to the Sun newspaper a the time! A strange claim that one even for the Sun! because I was reading that headline as we were picking the Ghurkas up in South Georgia! We got mail and some supplies off it including old newspapers.
    And that headline must have already been a week old at least!

By the time they actually arrived on the islands the real intense stuff had already happened and war was effectively already won with the Argentine Air force threat vastly reduced and limited and the Paras and Marines making the miles.
    Ironically the last real attack of note for the Argentines was by chance against the Welsh Guards who we also
    picked up along with the Ghurkas.
    And a relentless Naval gun bombardment was what really took out any resistance at Mt Harriet.

But then reality don't go down too well making movies!

Or perhaps selling on ebay!
    So if it don't sell it might also end up battle damaged in the battle for Port Stanley, Despite there not actually being a battle for Port Stanley as such, or at all!!

I might sweeten the deal by possibly throwing in a couple of Argentinian ration pack chocolate wrappers, unfortunately the choc all gone some 30 plus years ago.

Made me smile recently reading by translation some Argentine veterans blog suggesting our battle rations were better!!
    True enough apart from their chocolate their plenty of cigs and a daily shot of whiskey in their packs, apart from that
    of course our dried ??? soup! and I think 'its supposed to be some kind of a biscuit' wins hands down.

?

Quote by fighting irish View Post
    Thanks for the info.
    I think you are correct, they are worth considerably more, at least ones that have proof it actually was a war helmet like mine.

Eventually the Falklands will be looked back as a bit different to most recent so called 'wars'
    They had airplanes for a start!
    Take in the distance to travel there (two weeks full steam on the way back) logistics meant it was a war that could have gone either way.
    I can personally testify that their Pilots were as professional and as brave as any, if they had of hit the Canberra early on and they could have! It would have been a longer war if not different outcome.
    But that's only based on my being there, and not really interested in debating it lol

Anyway a friend of mine has listed it on ebay for me, and we'll see how it goes.
    They have told me one (not as good) went for £395 this year and one that up now has a bid of 254 (without any supplied proof) which without wishing to sound cynical without proof could just as easily had a angle grinder on it.

I am only selling to help out others with some money, but in no rush to sell it for peanuts or the price of a 'supposed' helmet
    I nearly lost my life more than once before I could acquire it.
    You are more than welcome, and I hope it sell's for a sensible price , perhaps if you provide a " bomb proof" ( pun excused) letter of provenance it would indeed fetch the higher hundred's, the market is so fickle as you are aware ...who know's what the winning bid will be?

Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast