Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Argentine Helmet 82 Falklands Malvinas war

Article about: In case it gets missed in a old post. Hi & hello to you all. Can anyone here give me some more info on a Argentine Helmet from 82 I know for certain it is genuine from a Argentine surviv

Good and fair point.
    I have just got them to highlight and detail the provenance I can and am willing to provide.
    The other items that will go for sale over the next day or three, should amount to enough provenance for even St Thomas.
    Those who like collecting this sort of stuff.
    A now rare (so I'm told) original from onboard.
    Royal Marines Cartoons

?

400 quid is not bad, but I think you could have gotten more by linking it to the soldier (you had full name and rank hand written there).

[QUOTE=fighting irish;1420112]Attachment 828663In case it gets missed in a old post.
    Hi & hello to you all.

Can anyone here give me some more info on a Argentine Helmet from 82
    I know for certain it is genuine from a Argentine survivor in the war, I always presumed it was ex Vietnam but that was only because someone said it at the time and it sounded credible enough.

Your helmet belonged to Sargento Carlos Joaquin Guyet who was in regiment pertenecia al B Log 10 based at Puerto Argentino (Stanley). I spoke to him and showed him your pictures and was a big surprise to him. He confirmed it was his helmet. This is the 3rd helmet I have helped identify and find the original owner. The taking of war helmets has been something of big debate. Personally I am not sure why they would be taken from the original owners but I guess that is war for you. I have a photo of Carlos now if you message me I can find away to send you his details and photo. I spoke only spanish with him so not sure if he will speak English. He lives in Buenos Aires. Kind Regards John
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Argentine Helmet 82 Falklands Malvinas war  

Well done John for tracking down the original owner of this pot. Helmets were removed from PW as a matter of course as part of the processing of prisoners. It is by no means a recent trend and goes back thousands of years. To the victor the spoils.

It is good to see that Carlos made it home.

Hola John,

"The taking of war helmets has been something of big debate. Personally I am not sure why they would be taken from the original owners but I guess that is war for you".

No debate amongst those in the know, it is quite legally acceptable to take helmets from surrendered enemy combatants under certain circumstances.

Article #6 of the Geneva (Prisoners of War) Convention of 1929 stipulated:

"All effects and objects of personal use except arms, horses, military equipment, and military papers shall remain in the possession of prisoners of war, as well as metal helmets and gas masks. Money in the possession of prisoners may not be taken away from them except by order of an officer and after the amount is determined. A receipt shall be given. Money thus taken away shall be entered to the account of each prisoner. Identification documents, insignia of rank, decorations, and objects of value may not be taken from prisoners. Metal helmets and gas masks may be taken from prisoners by the proper authorities when prisoners have reached a place where they are no longer needed for protection.”

Basically, once enemy combatants are in an area safe from shooting/shelling/gassing; such as a POW compound, helmets & gas masks become the property of the government, which just captured them. That ownership typically translates to souvenirs once the victorious military’s chain of command determines there’s no pressing military need, intelligence value, or significant monetary value in maintaining custody of said captured equipment. So, no harm no foul in owning these helmets as they were "lost" fair and square according to the stipulations of the Geneva Convention. If the victor's military forces as an agent allows/gives these helmets to their military forces as souvenirs, then there is no recourse for the original owners in terms of property dispute. And too, these helmets were likely Argentinian Government property and only under the care of their last Argentine owner, so the helmet (likely) did not actually belong to the individual Soldier wearing it.

V/r Lance

A couple of pictures sent to me by Carlos of him and his regiment and where he was based just outside Puerto Argentino. Did fighting irish sell his Helmet. I am sure if so the new owner would like to know its history. Carlos said he would be happy t buy it back but also happy that it is preserved in the hands of genuine collectors. Only thing that bothers me is the ridiculous sums of money they fetch when you consider what the original owners had to endure! I guess that is the same with any kind of collecting. I wonder if any british helmets coming back to UK would fetch similar amounts. This is the 3rd Helmet I have found so if anybody else has any I can track them down as have access to argentine databases etc. It is all so good to have faces behind these relics.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Argentine Helmet 82 Falklands Malvinas war   Argentine Helmet 82 Falklands Malvinas war  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2