Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Argentinian M1

Article about: This is my latest acquisition, a rear seam Argentinian M1 from the Falklands war era. It came as a lot, with the 7.62 cases and a Royal Navy anti-flash mask. The Mitchel cover is stuck to th

?

Default Re: Argentinian M1

Thanks Russ, I must admit I have a bit of a soft spot for these. Original Falkland bringbacks are getting rare, it was a short war, and there is not that much stuff about. One with prominence sold for £300.00/$470.00 recently, though that is not the reason I like these.
    Once there is such a sustained hike in prices, I think it wont be very long before somebody realizes there are a heck of a lot of these in Argentina that have not been anywhere near the Falklands, and a lot more will begin to show up for sale, so I'm going to grab a couple before the rush!

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

?

I've had a rummage under the cover for unusual welds. No joy, looks like an American low dome pot, silica covered, rear seam.
    What I did discover though was some neat ghosting of the cover on the pot. I have not seen this before. The pot and cover seem to have been together for a long time, probably at one time in very wet conditions.
    Please forgive the flash photography!

Best Regards,

Andy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Argentinian M1   Argentinian M1  

Argentinian M1   Argentinian M1  

Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

I don't know how conclusive that "Distictive Weld" statement is, so I'd not give up hope that it is not an Arg made helmet however, me persoanly, I think it would be much more collectable if it were a US M-1 as not a great deal of them were supplied to Arg.

Didn't you state NO heat stamp? If no heat stamp then unlikely to be a US lid. Also, if my notes are correct, the US supplied M-1s were of WWII Korean War vintage so would all be high dome.

Nice cover impressions on the lide....I'm assuming they matched up to the cover? Guess we can all add that Mich covers were used on Arg lids......nice discovery

?

The ghosting is a perfect match to the liner, which was partially stuck to the pot. And as a bonus, I didn't snap the rubber band taking the cover off!
    Interesting photo below. That has to be a Mitch?

Best Regards,

Andy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Argentinian M1  
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]

[/COLOR][/CENTER]

now thats cool andy,i suppose like anything in the collecting world,its always a case of whats hot and whats not,at the mo these lids have become very desirable,especially with 30 year anniversary.and there's not to many about.they will come down in value eventually like nam lids which i think are less now than 2 years ago,still a good catch.p.s leave some for someone else you greedy bugger(joke)regards minnie.

?

are you branching out away from our beloved US M1 helmet?cheers as usually my friend minnie.

I missed that one Minnie, no I'm still US M1 all the way, but I do get sidetracked sometimes!

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]

[/COLOR][/CENTER]

?

p.s leave some for someone else you greedy bugger(joke)regards minnie.

Absolutely not! I'm working on landscaping my back garden...............

Best Regards,

Andy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Argentinian M1  
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]

[/COLOR][/CENTER]

the guy that was there when the pic was took,sold some on ebay.talk about have a field day picking one or two from that lot,note how many differant helmet covers are in the shot?im sure thats a dutch burlap type,regards minnie.

?

For reference, here is a link to a site demonstrating the differences between the American and Argentine M1's
    Translated by Google, hence the octopus references.

Best Regards,

Andy

Google Translate
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]

[/COLOR][/CENTER]

very nice andy i cant believe the amount of wear that mitchell cover has taken the patterns nearly washed out completely i also like the pairing with the brit para lid , good stuff ,thanks james

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast