Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Austrian M75

Article about: I just traded my friend 5 or so modern military patches for this helmet, most all the paint has either peeled off or it had been repainted once before and that is gone. Thanks for looking at

Default Austrian M75

I just traded my friend 5 or so modern military patches for this helmet, most all the paint has either peeled off or it had been repainted once before and that is gone. Thanks for looking at this helmet
    Austrian M75Austrian M75Austrian M75Austrian M75Austrian M75Austrian M75Austrian M75

?

Very nice example , it has had a respray at one stage as they were issued in a flat grey colour, I think you carried out a good trade there. These helmets are not worth much financially , however they are excellent examples of the Nato/Euro M1 clones.

I have a few of these in my collection and as a result am a fan,Thanks for showing yours.

Thanks, I originally got it in a trade, looking for a Euro Clone for an M1 helmet art project. When I saw it, I was too psyched to hack it.

nice helmet and a great trade ,its reasurring to see you have the same liner configuration as mine without the green internal webbing,thanks for sharing
    Regards James

Quote by James C View Post
    its reasurring to see you have the same liner configuration as mine without the green internal webbing,thanks for sharing
    Well, that caused a bit of a stir at this desk, and certainly made me look two or three times at this thread. I simply had not noticed that Helmetfreaky's helmet doesn't have the fabric crosspiece in the crown of the liner. And I have *never* seen or noticed that before. And I have a heap of Austrian M58 and M75 not that far away from where I sit. So, what's going on here then?

I've done a bit of quick scrabbling about with the help of Google translate and to my genuine surprise it appears that there really *is* an early version of the M75 liner which does *not* have the extra fabric straps. If I am understanding the situation properly it seems that these straps were introduced as extra reinforcement for liners produced from 1983 onwards. It also seems that they may have been systematically added to earlier liners during routine repair and refurbishment, so there's a possibility that M75 liners *without* the fabric straps are actually a bit out of the ordinary. Certainly I can say that I thought I knew a bit about these Austrian helmets and *I* hadn;t noticed or realised that before. And there it is, in black&white. And colour. Gosh. Wow. I'll certainly be looking four or five times at these in the future. Gotta have one.

One other peculiarity of the M58/75 shell is that some - but certainly not all - have a funny little latch adjacent to the chinstrap bails. This is to hold in or stabilise the liner; the story is that a production run of liners was a fraction too small and they fell out easily. Or was it that the shells were too big? I dunno. (Pic shamlessly borrowed from WWH website - my own pic is uselessly out of focus and my camera battery is flat...)

Austrian M75

thanks greg ,helmets always seem to throw up surprises i too sometimes re look over a helmet ive had for years and spot something that catches my eye ,the research is the second best part of collecting these lids in my opinion , this liner webbing variation wasnt fully understood when first noticed well i didnt see a link ,i think another forum member mentioned it on my liner saying it had been ripped out or words to that effect i thought this was the case untill further inspection revealed no damage or stitch remnants in my leather liner ,i did the exact same thing as you and researched further and found low and behold and earlier variant was indeed made ,your info gives better details on the dates involved so many thanks for that also ive never heard of or seen this shell liner prong/clip before so ive learned something new and also the fact i might now have to find another example ,the joys of having ocd ,thanks again james m1975 stalhlhelm 1
    Regards James

Quote by Greg Pickersgill View Post
    One other peculiarity of the M58/75 shell is that some - but certainly not all - have a funny little latch adjacent to the chinstrap bails. This is to hold in or stabilise the liner; the story is that a production run of liners was a fraction too small and they fell out easily. Or was it that the shells were too big? I dunno. (Pic shamlessly borrowed from WWH website - my own pic is uselessly out of focus and my camera battery is flat...)

Austrian M75
    Ive been searching for one of those Austrian M58/75 shells with the added spring latch to secure the liner and they seem to be not very common / rare? I havent seen any except on the internet.

Quote by battle gear View Post
    Ive been searching for one of those Austrian M58/75 shells with the added spring latch to secure the liner and they seem to be not very common / rare? I havent seen any except on the internet.
    I can tell you they are *not* common, alas. I have looked at a lot of M58 and M75 - and bought a fair number - and very very few have had the latch. You have to really persevere and look at pretty much any possibility on Ebay or the like. It doesn;t help that most vendors don't understand the IMPORTANCE of this sort of detail and their pictures are so poor and ill-chosen that they're of no real use. I might be pointing out the obvious here, but Ebay searches for helmets located in Austria, specifically, might be your best bet. There's a lot of variation with these helmets - they're not all just the one thing.

Personally, I'll now be looking hard into the crowns of the liners trying to see what might not be there.

Here's a little note I was sent years ago by an Austrian helmetcollector known to me only as Bernhard - it shows there's more to these helmets than we might expect (not 'just Euroclones of no real value' as some might say (it depends on whether you;re interested in the *helmets* or how much cash they represent, I suppose...I have Attitudes about this....) - anyway, Bernhard, please -

"The first model was a direct copy of the US made M1 and was made by a firm called Ulbricht´Witwe Schwanenstadt.The helmet liner of the very first version was made exactly the way as the American liner, except the fact that the webbing was made of grey fabric - the leather headband was made of brown leather. The chinstrap for the liner was black leather. During the 1960s the liners were made of grey plastic but still had the US style webbing - the headband however was covered with grey artificial leather. The liner with the leather tongues was the last version.(They were available in three different sizes)

As a collector I have handled quite a lot of these helmets and I have observed that these helmets were often rebuilt or modified. For example the web straps were originally sewn to the helmet bales; sometimes during a rebuild new ones were riveted to the bars using ordinary hardware store rivets. I have some 1960s liners (grey plastic) that were modified with the leather liner assembly leaving portions of the webbing in the liner.To find a prime example of the early helmet with the correct helmet net and net band is not easy.

The typical stamps that you will find in Austrian helmet would be U.SCH.58 (Manufacturer and year of manufacture in this case 1958) and HBA 1958 that means Heeres Beschaffungs Amt. The official designation for the helmets is"Stahlhelm 1 " for the 1975 model and "Stahlhelm 2" for the older model."

So, there are we then - that means there are two main types, the 1958 (Stahlhelm 2) and the 1975 (Stahlhelm 1). We can then go further; there are two variants of the M58 Riddel-type liner (earliest being grey headband, then replaced by brown) and (we now know) two variants of the M75 (leather liner), the earliest being *without* the crown liner fabric straps, the later with. There are also some shells that have the liner retention clip, though most do not. I have also been told by Roger Lucy, a reliable Canadian collector, that there was also an early production run of the leather liner that had TEN lobes rather than the nine that is common. I have not yet even seen, never mind found, a 10-lobe liner. So that makes at least seven distinct variants. And I would be inclined to suggest that actually getting the set would a LOT more difficult - though considerably less expensive - than collecting any supposedly 'rare' TR helmet.

(NB - to clarify what Bernhard means about the original liners being an exact copy of the US M1 original - they're not. The Austrian is distinctly lower in profile when viewed from the side, and there is a grommet for an insignia (usually an oak leaf) on the left-hand-side which of course the US version never has.

All very interesting. Big Helmet Fun.
    Last edited by Greg Pickersgill; 10-21-2014 at 08:09 AM.

U.SCH appears to have made helmet shells for a number of countries-Austria of course, and I believe Norway and Denmark. Also, possibly the Netherlands.

Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast