Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Austrian Model 58

Article about: well done opex i do believe you have well and truly nailed this one did you use a surplus osterriech bundesheer od shirt for the scrim if you dont mind id like to show my example ,it came wi

well done opex i do believe you have well and truly nailed this one did you use a surplus osterriech bundesheer od shirt for the scrim if you dont mind id like to show my example ,it came with this us erdl cover and is of a 1978 vintage ,i really like it as if you look closely it appears to be giving the two finger's Austrian Model 58Austrian Model 58Austrian Model 58Austrian Model 58
    Regards James

?

Thanks for your comments and for showing your example, I see what you mean about the V sign

And I used a piece of old OD cloth, and cut it into strips and tried it on, I got the idea from a Bundy helmet with a similar look ,and of course from the Austrian ref picture for the book

Quote by Opex View Post
    Thanks for your comments and for showing your example, I see what you mean about the V sign

And I used a piece of old OD cloth, and cut it into strips and tried it on, I got the idea from a Bundy helmet with a similar look ,and of course from the Austrian ref picture for the book
    the ref picture of the Austrian soldier's camo helmet looks the same as yours, except his shows more field use, the pieces of material look more frayed and faded from wear and also from getting wet and dry causing the field worn look

yours looks fresh like it hasnt been used in the field yet

?

Quote by battle gear View Post
    the ref picture of the Austrian soldier's camo helmet looks the same as yours, except his shows more field use, the pieces of material look more frayed and faded from wear and also from getting wet and dry causing the field worn look

yours looks fresh like it hasnt been used in the field yet

Thanks for looking BG, my example is an attempt to recreate the look from the book cover, I assume if I allowed the material to weather is could be more realistic, it was an enjoyable mini-project all the same and was quickly achieved on a low budget

i too have wanted to recreate this scrimmed look on my austrian stahlhelm 1 and might very well do it one day ,lets face it what a soldier can do to camoflauge his helmet in the field is no different from what we can also acheive in our own back yards to enjoy in our collections and to hopefully the same effect albiet without the wear and tear, back to the helmet its very reminicent of the british turtle falklands era set up in my opinion
    Regards James

?

Quote by James C View Post
    i too have wanted to recreate this scrimmed look on my austrian stahlhelm 1 and might very well do it one day ,lets face it what a soldier can do to camoflauge his helmet in the field is no different from what we can also acheive in our own back yards to enjoy in our collections and to hopefully the same effect albiet without the wear and tear, back to the helmet its very reminicent of the british turtle falklands era set up in my opinion

Thanks James, I am a great fan of doing things on a budget, the cloth strips cost nothing and are fairly effective ,good point made too. I agree the cloth strips are very similar to what was done the old Turtle helmets, I never really thought it like that before, but a second look your right

JBR
    ?

I think the reason for "unpopular" helmets is a mixture of things. Historical prominence, due to use in conflicts, probably accounts for the large number of German WW2 helmet collectors. Others, like the M1 and British Mk2 likewise. Now that more is known about absolutely everything, due to the internet, French, Italian and Japanese helmets generate a much larger interest than, say 20 years ago. But I think the overwhelming reason why few seem to want helmets like the M58 is simply that such huge numbers have relatively suddenly been dumped on a market that has too few buyers - there are lots of people interested in post war helmets as collectables but not enough to buy up these huge numbers. WW2 helmets were produced in much larger numbers but that was a very long time ago. They have effectively thinned out over the years. It's just supply and demand. I bet they were all cheap when they first hit the market. So, we should get hold of these things while we can. I haven't the space, let alone the money, to collect every post WW2 helmet so helmets in my collection come and go over time - don't most people do that? It's a great hobby, though - and so many enthusiastic people on this forum alone to share it with! Great stuff on the M58, by the way - a bit of a favourite with me actually......... John

?

Quote by JBR View Post
    I think the reason for "unpopular" helmets is a mixture of things. Historical prominence, due to use in conflicts, probably accounts for the large number of German WW2 helmet collectors. Others, like the M1 and British Mk2 likewise. Now that more is known about absolutely everything, due to the internet, French, Italian and Japanese helmets generate a much larger interest than, say 20 years ago. But I think the overwhelming reason why few seem to want helmets like the M58 is simply that such huge numbers have relatively suddenly been dumped on a market that has too few buyers - there are lots of people interested in post war helmets as collectables but not enough to buy up these huge numbers. WW2 helmets were produced in much larger numbers but that was a very long time ago. They have effectively thinned out over the years. It's just supply and demand. I bet they were all cheap when they first hit the market. So, we should get hold of these things while we can. I haven't the space, let alone the money, to collect every post WW2 helmet so helmets in my collection come and go over time - don't most people do that? It's a great hobby, though - and so many enthusiastic people on this forum alone to share it with! Great stuff on the M58, by the way - a bit of a favourite with me actually......... John
    Many thanks for your valid opinion John which is much appreciated,I agree these models appear to be very much available on the surplus market, and often ( sadly) appear on ebay which have had a "band of Brothers" makeover which irritates me immensely. It would be great time to pick them up cheaply, as one day in the future they will become scarce.

Kind regards

Default Austrian M58 & M75 for comparison

here are my M58 and M75 [with liner retention clips]

M58 is dated 1957 and the M75 is dated 1976
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Austrian Model 58   Austrian Model 58  

Austrian Model 58   Austrian Model 58  

Austrian Model 58   Austrian Model 58  

Nice lids BG !! A firm favourite of mine!!!! As most of you know!!!
    The M58 is a nice early 57' (the first issued!!) And becoming really quite scarce!!! I searched through literally 100's to finally find mine!!! But even more rare to find still with the original issued elastic band for fitting the helmet net with metal clips!!! The shell also still retains its original T1 chinstrap!! (Often replaced for the later German twin clip type!!)

The M75 is a nice model also with the retaining clips fitted only for a short time in 76' year!! So once again much less common than the rest!! Also it has the ventilated leather liner headband!! Also a limited run!!! So again well done!!

Now the helmet nets you have are both the early hand tied type (bright green)..and the later type with elastic fitment (dark green) but I see you have them fitted on the wrong helmets!!?? Although if bought this way it's very possible the were fitted this way during service as later used old M58 helmets were fitted with replacements as the older type wore out!!! And the later type M75 were fitted with old stock usually for recruits in training even much later during the time when the new composite M92 were issued to front line troops!!!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast