Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Austrian Model 58

Article about: well done opex i do believe you have well and truly nailed this one did you use a surplus osterriech bundesheer od shirt for the scrim if you dont mind id like to show my example ,it came wi

?

Hi BG, thanks for adding your fantastic models to this thread, I have not seen the early Stahlhelm 2 with the US M1 chinstraps before very nice indeed

For comparison my early Austrian stalhelm group (from left to right) First.. is my "M55" as I like to call it!!! as in 1955 the American army left some 30,000 M1 helmets to help start up the new Bundesheer or Austrian army!! this one is a 1942 front seam fixed bail McChord as first used by the NEW Austrian army post war.... with salty first type liner made in Austria exactly the same way as the original M1 liners... from compressed fibre... the chinstraps on this one are missing!!
    Second is my M58 stalhelm 2 dated 57' shell with first type fibre liner.... the shell has the T1 chinstraps, and first type hand tied helmet net fitted with wide elastic band with metal clips!!
    Third is my M58 stalhelm 2 dated 66' shell with second type plastic liner first used in 1966, shell has T1 chinstraps and first type helmet net also with wide elastic band with metal clips !!
    bottom pics close ups of T1 type chinstrap hardware and wide elastic band with metal clips.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Austrian Model 58   Austrian Model 58  

Austrian Model 58   Austrian Model 58  

nice collection, those elastic bands with metal hooks really complete the look of your helmets, Im thinking of making one myself with a two inch wide piece of OG elastic and bending pieces of wire to make my own hooks, like a simple field modification.

Ok BG the wire used for the originals would seem to be spring steel... they have some quite complex bending and the "hook" is flatted!!!! there are four in total.... and they are just stitched on...
    Here's a few detail pics to help with your project !!!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Austrian Model 58   Austrian Model 58  

austromunga, thanks for the reference photos of your M58 helmet band with hooks! I think I can recreate one of these by using brass rod and reshaping it to make the hooks, and flatteng out the hook with a small hammer & anvil

I need to find some elastic material about the same width as the originals, the surplus store didnt have any.

?

I have a quick question about the grommet holes. On another forum a member states that the first M58 liners had a grommet hole on the front and on the side. I wasn't aware of this before. Does anyone know anything about this?

hi Ocad...not something I was aware of!!... I take it you mean the resinated type liners??...im sure all my examples are left side only ....grommet fitted!!....

?

Hello fellow Austrian M1 fans!

I just wanted to show this M57 dust magnet. The shell is a good old McCord with Austrian M57 straps and the liner is one of those hard to find 10 lobers, dating to 1974 which makes it an M57. The ‘76 10 lober must be an M75 then.... hmm these various patterns and issue don‘t make it easy! Hope you like it.

Really Nice "M55" that's what I call mine anyway!! being WW II U.S. issue from the 30.000 as left By the departing American forces..... looks to have evidence of original paint under the Austrian "GREY" over paint!!?? but an overall very pleasing Patina!!!!.....and a super 1974 "10" lobe liner to boot!!!
    Ocad........Is there any maker stamp visible on the underside of the liner "tongue's"??? and are the chinstraps on the shell M58 pattern??... copy of T1 U.S. ??? ..... or the later ....M75, West German pattern???

?

Thanks austromunga! I do like the patina and there does seem to be a couple of layers of paint although the crown is quite worn. Unfortunately the long chinstrap has been cut short and the other is missing its hardware but from the short strap design I would say that it‘s an M57 pattern rather than the later version. Yes under a leather tongue there is an ink stamp H... and a 70s date 72? 76? 78? I can’t make out the last number very well. Hmmm

Last edited by Ocad; 05-14-2018 at 07:59 AM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast