Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

British Dipatch Rider helmet with Belgian unit marking - identification needed

Article about: Hi to all, It's mine British DR helmet with Belgian flag on left side and unknown unit marking on front. Can anyone identify it? Regards Maciek

Default British Dipatch Rider helmet with Belgian unit marking - identification needed

Hi to all,
    It's mine British DR helmet with Belgian flag on left side and unknown unit marking on front. Can anyone identify it?
    Regards
    Maciek
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Dipatch Rider helmet with Belgian unit marking - identification needed   British Dipatch Rider helmet with Belgian unit marking - identification needed  

British Dipatch Rider helmet with Belgian unit marking - identification needed   British Dipatch Rider helmet with Belgian unit marking - identification needed  

British Dipatch Rider helmet with Belgian unit marking - identification needed  

?

Default Re: British Dipatch Rider helmet with Belgian unit marking - identification needed

It's not British, simple as that. If it's got a Belgian unit marking, with a Belgian flag, chances are it's Belgian (it is.). This is a copy of a British dispatch rider helmet used post war by Belgium. Inside on the liner there should be a stamp along the lines of "ABL". That, or (depending on the liner) it's an Armored Corps or Para helmet.

Here's some more info: belga carrista MK2 45 RAC

Nitram

Default Re: British Dipatch Rider helmet with Belgian unit marking - identification needed

Quote by Nitram View Post
    It's not British, simple as that. If it's got a Belgian unit marking, with a Belgian flag, chances are it's Belgian (it is.). [/url]

Nitram
    Well, I wouldn't go so far to call it Belgian - see photos of the liner
    It's a WWII British production. My fault, I should have mention it.
    So the question is - is this a postwar marking on WWII helmet or is it a marking of some Belgian unit from the war (The Piron Brigade?).

British Dipatch Rider helmet with Belgian unit marking - identification neededBritish Dipatch Rider helmet with Belgian unit marking - identification needed

?

Ah, well that sure throws a spanner in the works. I'd shoot a PM to "Tinlid", I think he might be able to shed some light on this. I imagine it may have been sold off as surplus for use in the Belgian Military.

Nitram

The issue with these British lids with painted on Belgian flag is that during and shortly after the war these flags were painted on. With no direct veteran attachment it is speculation. What is the size of this flag?
    Unfortunately I can not help you with the other marking however I hope somewhere here might know. It might also help you answer the first question.

An original British helmet sold postwar to the Belgians. Its very likely the front markings are Belgian too.

?

A castle insignia would sometimes be used to denote engineers.

Best Regards,

Andy