Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

British A.F.V Crewman Helmet

Article about: I came upon this A.F.V. Crewman Helmet produced by Amplivox Ltd. (Helmet Headset Electrical Vehicle Crewman's Headgear ) yesterday lovingly nicknamed the turnip I have little info on them an

?

Default British A.F.V Crewman Helmet

I came upon this A.F.V. Crewman Helmet produced by Amplivox Ltd. (Helmet Headset Electrical Vehicle Crewman's Headgear ) yesterday lovingly nicknamed the turnip I have little info on them and cant find much on line but I do believe they were first put into production in the late 1970's or early 80's and have seen them for sale from time to time but have never bid on one as the shipping from the UK is very expensive. I did manage to find this example here in Canada though and paid the princely sum of $20.00 Cdn it does require a little TLC it looks to need a good cleaning and the one communication cord has been damaged I will add a new piece once it arrives and throw it on the shelf for display does anyone have any thoughts if goggles would be worn with this model as I am having problems locating period images of this particular A.F.V. helmet in use.

Regards Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British A.F.V Crewman Helmet   British A.F.V Crewman Helmet  

British A.F.V Crewman Helmet   British A.F.V Crewman Helmet  

?

Hi Mark, great example, I always find aesthetically these helmets to be really odd in shape but it is a clever design to have the comm's integrated, I had a quick search but could find no examples of the type of goggles worn with the Helmets

Check out this link for more info
    http://www.cascoscoleccion.com/granbret/gbdanda.htm

I've seen a *lot* of photos - and some Real Life examples - of these 'Dan Dare' helmets in use and I certainly cannot recall ever seeing anyone wearing goggles with them. Obviously that doesn;t mean it never happened, but it might imply that it was not normal practice. NB - although we are now very familiar with seeing troops in the Middle East and Afghanistan wearing goggles I think that its a comparatively recent innovation on such a wide scale. I doubt it would have been so widespread twenty or thirty years ago. Apart from anything else the lenses would not have had the resistance to impact which is now expected.

very nice find mark and a great addition to your collection i love the turnip moniker ,i just threw some period nato goggles in the us 44 pattern style on mine and it seemed to work for display purposes ,hope you dont mind me posting here mate British A.F.V Crewman HelmetBritish A.F.V Crewman HelmetBritish A.F.V Crewman HelmetBritish A.F.V Crewman Helmet
    Regards James

?

Not at all James thank you for sharing images of yours with the goggles.
    Thanks for the link and your comments Opex and Greg the information is muchly appreciated.

Regards Mark

?

Mark, have a look for "Blues and Royals in the Falklands War" these helmets were the standard AFV crew helmet at the time.

Regards etc
    Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

?

Thanks Ian will do these helmets are so ugly they are almost appealing looks like some one dropped it from the ugly tree and it hit every branch on the way down LOL..
    On a different note are they comfortable to wear for prolonged periods.

Regards Mark

Quote by jimpy View Post
    Mark, have a look for "Blues and Royals in the Falklands War" these helmets were the standard AFV crew helmet at the time.

Regards etc
    Ian D

AKA: Jimpy
    thats interesting ian ,mine has a large D stencilled front and rear and i think on an earlier thread i made on it was identified as dragoons
    Regards James

thanks for understanding mark ,its always nice to see other examples and yours is real nice ,tell me do your ear phone adjustment velcro's still work as mine are missing from the exterior of the shell
    Regards James

?

Sorry James all your questions will be answered in a week or so as I do not have it in hand yet.

Regards Mark k

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast