Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

British A.F.V Crewman Helmet

Article about: I came upon this A.F.V. Crewman Helmet produced by Amplivox Ltd. (Helmet Headset Electrical Vehicle Crewman's Headgear ) yesterday lovingly nicknamed the turnip I have little info on them an

got you mark ,fair enough mate ,ill ask away then
    Regards James

?

Quote by kozowy1967 View Post
    On a different note are they comfortable to wear for prolonged periods.

Regards Mark

You're welcome Mark.

As regards the "comfort factor", that one I can't help you with having never worn one.

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA : Jimpy

?

Mark and James.

I did a quick Google search and came up with these 3, admittedly, not very clear pic's of the helmet in use.

The really interesting one, I think anyway, is the one of the Rapier crewman wearing one!

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy
    Attached Images Attached Images British A.F.V Crewman Helmet  British A.F.V Crewman Helmet  British A.F.V Crewman Helmet 
    Last edited by jimpy; 05-10-2014 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Addition

great referance pictures ian so thanks for looking ,i was stuggling to find any myself ,now i imagine the first picture is staged for the camera due to the proximity of the groundcrew to the rapiers
    Regards James

?

Not sure about that James as I never worked or came into contact with Rapier when I was wearing a cabbage suit, (1981-90), even though Rapier was in service at the time.

TBH mate, I don't know a great deal about the system other than it being a towed two part unit, (generator and firing station). I do remember there being some sort of problem with the firing system when it was initially deployed in the Falklands after a fortnight at sea in the ship's holds!!

Regards etc
    Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

thank you for your insight ian its always a pleasure to listen and learn from you
    Regards James

?

You're welcome James.

?

Sorry gents must have missed my email notifications to the thread thanks very much for the extra information and the images Ian like James I was struggling to find any pics of the helmet in use by crews.
    James as to your question regarding the Velcro tabs there are still intact and quite serviceable I tried the helmet on last night just for giggles and near ripped my ears off until I figured out how to put it on properly It was interesting to try out the small levers on the headset they muffle and cut off all exterior sound quite well.
    I have managed to repair the cord running from the twist plug with some electrical shrink tube so it displays rather nicely now.

Regards Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British A.F.V Crewman Helmet   British A.F.V Crewman Helmet  

British A.F.V Crewman Helmet   British A.F.V Crewman Helmet  

British A.F.V Crewman Helmet  

thanks for the update mark im glad you have it in hand now and ive come to realise just how good your example is in condition great repair with the shrink tube too ,we use it in work on cable joints and once applied very watertight so a good idea putting it to use on your loom if you dont mind ive taken the time for some extra pictures of mine for your interest ,ive tryed to emulate your photos for comparison ,you can clearly see the missing shell velcro tabs but i see the foam mic cover is showing similar wear and tear ,well as much as i tryed i just couldnt squeeze it over my big head so i called on an assistant to help out and also i found a referance picture showing the original instruction label British A.F.V Crewman HelmetBritish A.F.V Crewman HelmetBritish A.F.V Crewman HelmetBritish A.F.V Crewman HelmetBritish A.F.V Crewman HelmetBritish A.F.V Crewman HelmetBritish A.F.V Crewman HelmetBritish A.F.V Crewman Helmet
    Regards James

?

LOL thanks for the helmet fitting instructions wish I had thoughs last night.
    Your model has that look about her ( Not again Dad please !!! ) thanks for the extra images .

Regards Mark

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast