Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

British Household Cavalry Brass Helmet - Original & What Year ???

Article about: I'm planning to buy this curious brass made helmet from my local flea market. And after some research, i still cant decide whether this helmet original or not. The liner especially the bolt

Question British Household Cavalry Brass Helmet - Original & What Year ???

I'm planning to buy this curious brass made helmet from my local flea market.
    And after some research, i still cant decide whether this helmet original or not. The liner especially the bolt is a bit crude.
    British Household Cavalry Brass Helmet - Original & What Year ???British Household Cavalry Brass Helmet - Original & What Year ???British Household Cavalry Brass Helmet - Original & What Year ???British Household Cavalry Brass Helmet - Original & What Year ???British Household Cavalry Brass Helmet - Original & What Year ???British Household Cavalry Brass Helmet - Original & What Year ???British Household Cavalry Brass Helmet - Original & What Year ???British Household Cavalry Brass Helmet - Original & What Year ???British Household Cavalry Brass Helmet - Original & What Year ???
    So my question is, is this original made british household cavalry? If it's true, from what age this helmet was made.
    Thank you.

And from some reason i can't edit these photos in my computer after i sent it from my cellphone. I can't rotate it. So please pardon for the inconvenience.

Anyone?

Mate, I don't think you're being ignored.......your post has had 60+ views....but this isn't a wide collecting area.....I'm a helmeteer but can't help you at all.....but some of us are looking....sorry I can't help.

'Not sure how many Brit lids make it to Indonesia.......but my approach is if you LIKE it, buy it.....if you want an INVESTMENT be very very sure....... it's a heart and head issue usually

Good luck and thanks for sharing......

Let me say first of all that I am no kind of expert when it comes to these but I do have some "general knowledge" picked up along the way!

I suggest this is a copy of the type that come from the Indian sub-continent amongst other places.

It is pretending to be an 1871 pattern "Albert" helmet of The 1st Lifeguards of the Household Cavalry and the crown on the badge looks like the Queens Victorian Crown (aka QVC). The first thing I noticed is that the circlet with the motto of the Royal Household ( ie the motto of the Order of the Garter -Honi soit qui mal y pense - Evil to he who evil thinks) should be surrounded by a star shaped background because it represents The breast star of The Order of the Garter. Also, the star, crown and wreath should be all one separate piece or "helmet plate" which this one seems to be but I cannot understand why such an important feature as the "star" is missing. These helmets are made of brass but are heavily plated so even a well worn item should show signs of the plating as should the helmet plate itself. Evenso, this one seems to be brass but with a very high copper content so as to only just qualify as brass perhaps, this makes the meatal very workable but far too soft. On older helmets the nuts and bolt holding the various parts in place can look very crude but were always "mechanically made" which should be obvious. The detail also seems weak throughout.

If it is cheap and you like it as an ornament then fine but I do not see anything original about it.

I attach a couple of pice of what you should be seeing in a real one.

British Household Cavalry Brass Helmet - Original & What Year ???British Household Cavalry Brass Helmet - Original & What Year ???British Household Cavalry Brass Helmet - Original & What Year ???

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

that's the kinda reply I like to see....thanks and well done Mr Dog.......I was sittin' back and waitin' for the "FAKE!" responses...but secretly hoping there'd be somat helpful........well done matey!

Quote by Composite View Post
    that's the kinda reply I like to see....thanks and well done Mr Dog.......I was sittin' back and waitin' for the "FAKE!" responses...but secretly hoping there'd be somat helpful........well done matey!
    Thank you. It is what a "forum" is all about!

Just read my own post again and what I should have made more clear is that whilst the crown, wreath and star are all one "piece" making up the helmet plate and detachable from the helmet the star itself is detachable from the plate and is held in place by lugs and pins depending on the time of manufacture.

This makes for better polishing and stuff which the johnnies of the Household Division enjoy so much

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Thumbs up

Ah thank you everyone for this answer! This is why i love this forum.
    To be honest, the non existance of the star on the order of garter is really disturb me since i research that helmet from the first day. I already search anywhere including in this interesting link. I also have thought about this helmet was from british indian territory or maybe refurb by the pro british forces in there but i never thought it's indeed a fake.
    Thank you again gents, you all save me a lot of money and importantly an answer of a mystery.

Hi

very interesting

For me, the plate is fixed either by one screw and nut or lugs