Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

British Mk.IV Helmet

Article about: Hello everyone! This is a mkIV turtle helmet I picked up a while ago thinking it was some sort of a Brodie helmet. I suppose researching and trying to figure out as much as possible about wh

chz
    ?

Default British Mk.IV Helmet

Hello everyone! This is a mkIV turtle helmet I picked up a while ago thinking it was some sort of a Brodie helmet. I suppose researching and trying to figure out as much as possible about what this actually is sparked my interest in helmets . Both shell and liner are dated 1952.

Now, I've got a few questions:
    What could of possibly caused the strange ring of weird paint on the helmet? Stacking perhaps?

This is written on the shell itself: ROC 4 / LS / MA 1952 (you can see this on the second photo if you squint hard enough). What does that mean?

?

Default Re: British Mk.IV Helmet

ROC I presume stands for RO&CO (Which is the stamp for Rubery Owen Co.Ltd.(Leeds)), my riot shielded MK-IV is made by the same company, same year 1952. Not sure what LS / MA stand for, and mine isn't on hand to check if it's marked as such too. The weird circle is in fact from storage, a second helmet stacked atop, and quite a common occurrence.

Martin

Yes, the ring is from stacking......very common to find these helmets this way

Russ

?

According to "World Helmets" that one may be a little more unusual.
    World Helmets - Military Memorabilia Collection on My Airspace

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

chz
    ?

Quote by aj4010 View Post

Best Regards,

Andy
    could it possibly be a korean war one, panted olive later on?

?

Quote by chz View Post
    could it possibly be a korean war one, panted olive later on?
    It certainly looks that way, but I'm sure somebody with more knowledge than me will be along to confirm it soon.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

Quote by aj4010 View Post

Best Regards,

Andy

The information on the MK IV I have provided on the World Helmets section of my sons web site I don't think gives claim that all the Korean war era MK IV's were painted matt black or even for what reason, I simply summised that the helmet portrayed on the site was indicative to what is often seen for lids dated in this era. I would like to learn/hear more from one of those knowlagable on the MK IV as most of what you find in the internet is pretty general and is the source of the writings on the World Helmets page. If I learn more, I will update the page so it can be a greater resouce.

Regards,

Russ & Son

the mk1V turtle was manufactured in large amounts during the korean war and left the factory painted in the standard matt black ,i cant tell from the liner pic because i cant enlarge it to see closer but is this the mk111 with ltd fastener or mk1V liner with ltd fastener and lift the dot tab

chz
    ?

Quote by col james View Post
    the mk1V turtle was manufactured in large amounts during the korean war and left the factory painted in the standard matt black ,i cant tell from the liner pic because i cant enlarge it to see closer but is this the mk111 with ltd fastener or mk1V liner with ltd fastener and lift the dot tab
    What exactly would the difference between MkIII liner and MkIV one? Is lift the dot tab the flappy bit for pulling the liner out? If so, its the MkIV one.

The MK III, MKIV and MK V for that matter are the exact same shell to my knowledge. The MK III has the liner affixed to the shell simialr to the MKII doughboy helmets and therefore were not water tight while the MK IV and MK V use the Lift the Dot (LTD) attachment for the removable liner thus making the shell water tight. The MK V is an completely different liner (like a big sock) that was much more stable when fitted to the shell than the former MK IV and therefore the LTD attachment still remained. The MK V was the last of the British steel helmets.

The differance between the MK III and MK IV is not in the liner but in how the liner is attached...
    Last edited by MySonsDad; 01-07-2013 at 01:51 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast