Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Bulgarian M36C camo

Article about: Hi all Picked up this Bulgarian M36C today...I had been looking for a suitable shelf mate for my M51/72...and this example really fitted the bill!!!! Just couldn't resist the nice camo paint

Default Bulgarian M36C camo

Hi all
    Picked up this Bulgarian M36C today...I had been looking for a suitable shelf mate for my M51/72...and this example really fitted the bill!!!!
    Just couldn't resist the nice camo paintwork!!! looks very much to me to be period correct!!??...and.... the graffiti/name/company?? on the headband...... would love to know what it all means!!??
    Also the Bulgarian hand painted Tri-colour is just visible beneath the camo over paint!!!

comment's please gents
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Bulgarian M36C camo   Bulgarian M36C camo  

Bulgarian M36C camo   Bulgarian M36C camo  

Hi all!!
    Just received a translation of the inscriptions on the leather head band!!!...

Many thanks Alex!!!!

Hello mate, nice find. It does tell a lot of stories. This helmet was used by at least two different soldiers, as I can make out two different names and two different locations (probably of the home garrisons). One I can make out clearly (righthand side of your finger) is "е-р Христов - e-r Hristov" (Efreitor Hristov - Private first class Hristov). Next to his name is the garrison town name, abbreviated as Mih-Grad (Mihaylovgrad, now Montana). Next to it you can see a roman 1 (I) + R (bulg.: P) and "Ohrid", this is the units abbreviation 1st Platoon named after Ohrid (btw. a Lake and town in now Macedonia - also well known for a battle of ancient Bulgarian times). In front of the abovementioned name Hristov is another name, but I can't really make it out.
    On the other pic, the 59 is the head size, next to it the text which is clearly visible is another garrison town abbreviation D-Grad (Dimitrovgrad), wht is written below that, I can't make out, sorry. And then you can see МДБ (MDB) and БИК (BIK). MDB is the abbreviation for "Механизирана Димитровградска Бригада" - Dimitrovgrad Mechanized Brigade, now (as of 1992) officially known as the "61-ва Стрямска механизирана бригада" - 61st "Stryamska" Mechanized Brigade, Garrison HQ in Karlovo. As for БИК (BIK) I have to guess, since this abbrevation has got several meanings in Bulgarian, one and the main meaning is "Bull", so it could well be the nickname of the helmets former wearer.

Love that camo scheme Paul

Thanks James....
    Here's a quick pic of the two Bulgarian helmets together...just need to find some shelf room for them!!!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Bulgarian M36C camo