Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

bullet penetration test US M1917 .45 vs repro German M35 from IMA

Article about: interesting video of a repro German M35 bullet pentration test to see how well made the repro stands up against a shot fired from a S&W M1917 pistol. Published on Dec 7, 2014 Heavily fea

Default bullet penetration test US M1917 .45 vs repro German M35 from IMA

interesting video of a repro German M35 bullet pentration test to see how well made the repro stands up against a shot fired from a S&W M1917 pistol.

Published on Dec 7, 2014

Heavily featured in the movie Fury, In this video we will put the S&W M1917 in .45ACP against a reproduction steel helmet from IMA USA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvBHq5PW0Ag
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture bullet penetration test US M1917 .45 vs repro German M35 from IMA  

?

US Training Film - bullets vs helmets

WW2 Infantry Weapons and Their Effects
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QgXuhv7-54
    Regards,
    John

Thanks for sharing, good vid!

?

Now that's cool!I didn't know they can stop a bullet,even if its only from a pistol.
    Thanks for sharing.

Default dent and paint loss from .45 round impact

the repro paint finish is not the same as an original, notice how easily the paint has chipped off just from one hit from a .45 rd?

notice how smooth and shiny the metal is under the paint? on an original the paint doesnt flake off so easily, it would show a dent but the paint wouldnt have come off so easily like that.

the repro must be made of a softer non heat treated mild steel, not manufactured to German military specifications, just a decorator / display piece.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture bullet penetration test US M1917 .45 vs repro German M35 from IMA  

cool vid

so would it stop sub-machine guns Thompson, PPSh-41 ex. ?
    would it stop machine guns like Bar and DP-28 rounds?

Quote by ironcross13 View Post
    cool vid

so would it stop sub-machine guns Thompson, PPSh-41 ex. ?
    would it stop machine guns like Bar and DP-28 rounds?
    from my experience shooting US M1 helmets, I know they stop a .45 pretty well because of the big low velocity rd from a pistol

but they wont stop high velocity rds like the 7.62x25 Russian or rifle rds, steel helmets were not made to be bullet proof, they would have to make them too thick & heavy

but they work well for their intended purpose against low velocity pistol ammo and shrapnel, it also depends on the distance, the further the distance the more chances the bullet might not penetrate or could richochet / deflect

so a steel helmet would still have some protection against long range hits when the velocity would be much lower, something that could happen on the battlefield.

There is a difference in metal between original german M35(a high quality steel alloy) and M40/42(carbon steel).

Ive shot at lot of helmets, even german WW2 shells (hate me).

A M35 shell (bare metal sanded, not by me, it was Q62) will deflect a 7,62x25 from a M56 SMG at 100 meters if its not hit dead center. They wont stop AK rounds though

But ive shot at an M42 (hkp, dont know the size) on the same day, the shell was stripped also, not burned or anything and the bullets "cut" through the shell wherever they hit.

So IMO there is a massive difference between the early and late war helmets (balistics).

2 "older" helmets that have awesome balistics are the NVA M56 and the Yugo M59 (M56 SMG, 7,62x25).

thanks guys some good info, dont no much about guns as live in the UK and you can get put in jail over a air rifle never mind a real gun

so they could be useful just not could close hits from a SMG or MG

i dont think anything could stop a AK round,

was the erly was helmets made better?