Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

BW M62m. Is this one unusual?

Article about: A friend of my in the Netherlands has been looking for a BW early M1 (2 partwith separate liner) and a M60 (2 point chinstrap permanent liner with lateral rivets) to add to my collection. He

Default BW M62m. Is this one unusual?

A friend of my in the Netherlands has been looking for a BW early M1 (2 partwith separate liner) and a M60 (2 point chinstrap permanent liner with lateral rivets) to add to my collection.

He has just sent me the helmet below which is neither of the types I am after but an M62m (3 point chinstrap and liner fixed by a crown bolt). However, a couple of things make me wonder so I would appreciate input from members who concentrate on steel helmets.

1. Where the M62m has a single rivet through the shell at each strap bale this one has two at the side bale points. Only one in each case is holding the strap bale. The other (rearmost) is doing nothing at all. There is no sign whatsoever of this rivet having held anything and it appears to be simply a plug. The head is also slightly smaller and of a different profile. So, the size difference suggests it was not placed at the same time as the strap bale rivet or not during the same process at least. Plus there has to be a hole to put a rivet in so why bore a hole just to blank it with a rivet? Was the 2nd hole for something subsequently deleted.

2. The colour is thickly brushed over the original BW Olive Green but with some apparent care not to overlap the rim onto the inside of the shell. The paint seems to be of military grade and not at all like the modern aerosol acrylics used by the "airsofter" types and is of a shade quite different from the NATO sand shade with which I am familiar but identical to that I recall from Iraqi equipment during Op Granby / Op Desert Storm although I have seen a similar shade on some US equipment it still seems different to my eyes. I was a member of UK 7 Armd Bde at that time and I know the BW gave Log Sp and provided a lot of ammunition but I am pretty sure there were no BW pers in theatre.

So, is this a normal M62m with unexplained extra (pointless) rivets or something else?

By the way, I am still looking for the BW M1 (2 part) and the M60 (lateral liner rivets) if anyone knows where they are hidden!

BW M62m. Is this one unusual?BW M62m. Is this one unusual?BW M62m. Is this one unusual?BW M62m. Is this one unusual?BW M62m. Is this one unusual?

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Mark The Light tan example reminds me of the colouration of Iranian Used West German helmets and i found this thread very helpful in the past so is well worth the time to scroll through Bundeswehr steel helmets.
    Regards James

Quote by James C View Post
    Mark The Light tan example reminds me of the colouration of Iranian Used West German helmets and i found this thread very helpful in the past so is well worth the time to scroll through Bundeswehr steel helmets.
    Thanks James, yes the Iranian sand colour is pretty much identical to the Iraqi and other armies in the region as far as I can tell. I think more than likely the paint even came from the same origin! I posted here rather than the specific BW thread to get the most exposure amongst steel helmet collectors. I am reading the other thread now and I see one M62m so far with the two side rivets but no mention of them yet!

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 04-27-2020 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

World War Helmets - Reference de casques de 1915 a nos jours.
    There seems to be an explanation of the rivets on here. you have to register on the site to view the full content.

There is nothing unusual about your rivets - the shell has been modified for the three-point chinstrap and the two blind rivets are where the original two-point strap was attached. The factory-built M85 (assuming this is a reasonable descriptor) has only one rivet per side, as you might expect. Not at all uncommon as many helmet shells were refurbished.

As far as the colour goes, I have no idea, except to say it would seem extremely unlikely that an Iranian (or anywhere else) exported helmet would show up back in Europe in such good condition. I'd say idle hands and a can of paint, I think.

Quote by Greg Pickersgill View Post
    There is nothing unusual about your rivets - the shell has been modified for the three-point chinstrap and the two blind rivets are where the original two-point strap was attached. The factory-built M85 (assuming this is a reasonable descriptor) has only one rivet per side, as you might expect. Not at all uncommon as many helmet shells were refurbished.

As far as the colour goes, I have no idea, except to say it would seem extremely unlikely that an Iranian (or anywhere else) exported helmet would show up back in Europe in such good condition. I'd say idle hands and a can of paint, I think.
    Yep, that is the way I was thinking, a post manufacture mod but I just didn't know that for sure.
    I agree concerning the paint in respect of the general condition. Most stuff coming from that part of the world tends to be rather "world weary" even some of the kit from Western forces does tend to be a bit tatty after just a few months let alone years but the paint is definately not "re-enactor quality" so who knows? I can see a game of (paint)strip poker on the cards

Regards

Mark