Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

This could be a Romanian MP helmet....

Article about: ..and then again it is likely not. I believe this object is Romanian, despite being sold as Russian. I believe this because I know that Ssh40 were used by the Romanians before the advent of

?

Default Re: This could be a Romanian MP helmet....

Hello again Greg ... another clue regarding the white helmet: I've been looking at Russian helmets sold in past auctions just to see what's been offered and at what prices. Saw a helmet w/exact appearance as this one ... seller's description was that it had been used in Berlin post-war by Russians.
    Occurred to me that perhaps the Russians painted "MP" on some helmets for the benefit of English-speakers and others who would conclude that these guys were functioning in a role equivalent to military police. Just a guess ................Skip

Well, that's certainly interesting. There's definate evidence that despite its 'Romanian' characteristics this could indeed be a simple Russian ssh40, and at least one other person has suggested the 'MP' is a straightforward translation for exactly the sort of reason you propose.

Where did you see the other one - can you provide me/us with a URL?

?

Greg, I did a search on Ebay.com using "advanced search" and "completed auctions" options, searching for "Russian helmet".
    Don't remember how many pages into the results I found the white "MP" helmet.

?

Well here it is on page 9 ... and it's the same helmet shown from a bit different angle ! Was for sale in Lincolnshire in May. So it should be found on Ebay.uk

?

Checked the interior pic on Ebay and everything I can see confirms it's the same helmet you've pictured here. Just from different angles and with a blue background.

Hello Greg,

Did you had a look at the numbers stamped on the back of the helmet? Same place as rusian helmet. Is there any?

Bruno

Well, it certainly ought to look like mine, because that's the one I bought! What caught my attention was not only the unusual 'MP' logo but also the brown pads, which I had foolishly assumed were a sure sign it was a Romanian rather than Russian issue. Since then of course I have discovered that there's more to it than that. Unfortunately.

If you have a look at this other completed eBay object -

Romanian Combat Helmet | eBay

you will see another I bought, which caught my attention because up to then I had no idea the Romanians used the ssh40. I did some research before buying, but clearly not enough to find that the triangular stamp may be the only sure sign. As you can probably guess *neither* of these have the Romanian triangular acceptance stamp, though in other respects they do conform to Romanian issue. If only the bloody Russians hadn't *also* used brown pads for some runs of ssh40 in the late 1940s...

It's all this that keeps helmet collecting fun. And keeps our brains active. Isn't it?

?

Well I'm sticking with the theory that these were created for the benefit of Westerners wandering around in post-war Berlin. The seller seemed definite that they were used in that place and time.
    As you said, a learning experience. As I've had after seeing all the dozens (hundreds?) of Czech Vz53 helmets being offered as "Russian WWII helmets reissued by the Czech military", then learning that the Czechs did in fact reissue SSh40's at least for a while. So after learning to identify those that are indeed what they're claimed to be, I of course have a person in the Czech Republic acquiring one to resell to me.

will add a pic with a helmet too, from my collection.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture This could be a Romanian MP helmet....   This could be a Romanian MP helmet....  

This could be a Romanian MP helmet....   This could be a Romanian MP helmet....  

This could be a Romanian MP helmet....  

an interesting topic for discussion greg ,is it in your possession or a proposed purchase ?the MP stencil doesn't seem to show a consistent amount of wear and tear as found on the white wash coating of the shell so im leaning to it being added further down the line by persons unknown ,that still doesn't ease my thought's nor does it help to make me understand why this helmet would be just coated glossy white without any stecilling ,it a bit of an enigma and i look forward to the outcome

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast