Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Danish helmet

Article about: by Jack The question that always arises with these civil defense helmets is whether the underlying shell is pre-war or WWII as opposed to post-war. It is usually obvious that the liner is fa

Default Re: Danish helmet

Quote by Jack View Post
    The question that always arises with these civil defense helmets is whether the underlying shell is pre-war or WWII as opposed to post-war. It is usually obvious that the liner is fairly new and stamped for civil defense. I have a similar M23 (very heavy, so not an M41). It has "CF-KVN" painted on the front. I discovered a metal liner stamp similar to the above. I actually emailed the Danish company (whose name has since changed). They simply replied that it is a part number, and they did not elucidate as to its age.
    Hey Jack!
    Glud og Marstrand did not produce any M23 helmets after 1943. They halted production, and it was never resumed
    However they began producing the M/46 helmet in 1946, but production was halted in 1948 since we received large quantities of MK II, MK III and M1 helmets...

The CF - (Civilforsvaret) was founded in 1949 - therefore all liners stamped with CF, is from the period between 1949 - 1950/65. At some time in the 1950/60s the CF bought an substantial amount of M1 clones in Germany, and the old M/23 and M/46 helmets were put in storage right into the 1990's.

Here is my CF reissued M23 with rear vents specific to early production, yet the number inside points toward the second half of 1940.

Danish helmetDanish helmetDanish helmet

?

Hey Meyle77. I have a heavy-weight Danish helmet (I assume an M23). Mine also has the CF liner stamp and front stencil. I know "CF" stands for "civil defense." Were you able to discover what the "KVN" stands for? Thanks. Jack

P.S. A European dealer sold me another helmet with the royal front badge and labeled it an M23. But, because of the weight difference between it and the above helmet, I'm sure it is an M41.

Hi,

My civil defence is a m23 produced in 1927 (2 vent holes on the back) with 1940 liner and then refurbished for cd.
    The m41 is the light civil version, but there is also m23/40, which is a light army version.
    CF means civil defense, but KVN is still a mystery.
    There is many m41s sold as m23s, so beware.
    Check GHW for more info - few m23 related posts.

I know that this tread is old, but I can answer your question about the KVN. the KVN stands for karreværn. karreværn Is a local civil defends in a apartment or a bigger building, the job of a karreværn was to man the fire equipment, that was to be in a bigger building by law. Søg i Bonanza - dr.dk/Bonanza look at 7:14 in video number 2 under the big screen.
    sorry for my bad spelling.

?

Hey, better late than never. Thank you very much for the info. By the way, my insanity has continued; I now own 125 helmets (only 12 when I posted my question). Jack

Thanks !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2