Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Danish WWII Helmet ?

Article about: Hi, I recently bought, what I was told was, a WWII era Danish helmet. Now, I have done some research, and it looks like it is the m23, judging by shape and color. However there isn't a lot o

Default Danish WWII Helmet ?

Hi,
    I recently bought, what I was told was, a WWII era Danish helmet. Now, I have done some research, and it looks like it is the m23, judging by shape and color. However there isn't a lot of information on the internet about danish helmets, and I have no way to verify its authenticity. There are no factory markings anywhere (I checked under the liner, yet still nothing). is there any way to know what year this helmet was made in? Also the liner does look remarkably well preserved, could it have been replaced?

Thanks.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Danish WWII Helmet ?   Danish WWII Helmet ?  

Danish WWII Helmet ?   Danish WWII Helmet ?  

Danish WWII Helmet ?   Danish WWII Helmet ?  

Danish WWII Helmet ?  

?

Not the forum for this. You should have posted it under 'World Steel Helmets'.

Regards,
    Bas

Although this helmet is posted in the wrong part of this most sublime forum, I am able to assist you.
    I know a faire bit about the M/1923 helmet (as I own a "few")

What you have bought is rightly so a M/23 - but I am 99% certain it is the civil defence version.
    The liner is original, but as a lot of the M/23-41 helmets never saw any real use, that is hardly surprising.

They are identical to the army helmets in shape and size - and are often mislabelled by scrupulous vendors on the dark corners of the internet - and sold to collectors that are unaware there is different version of the helmet.

The M/23-41 is cheap and easy to find in Denmark were they can be found for as little as £8 for a standard - and substantially more for a "resistance" version with proper provenance.

If you want to find a proper M/23 (army or navy version) there is some things you need to know:

-The army helmets weighs about 1,75 kg.
    - The civil defence helmets weighs in at about 1,2-1,5 kg.

-There should be a whole in the front of the helmet to accommodate the helmet emblem.

- The liner on the army helmets have small internal pockets that hold a small amount of horse-hair in a small packet.

- The army helmets have a oval brass disc with a unique production number and the manufacturers stamp: "A/S Glud og Marstrands Fabriker"

- The civil defence version often come in a matte black or sometimes even glossy black. The army helmets come in a variety of grey / green / karkee colours.

------------------
    Photos:

First helmet is not mine, but is the only reference I have at hand for the ultra rare fist version. No more than 300 were made.
    Danish WWII Helmet ?
    Danish WWII Helmet ?
    Danish WWII Helmet ?
    Danish WWII Helmet ?

Second helmet: Late 1930s version.

Danish WWII Helmet ?
    Danish WWII Helmet ?
    Danish WWII Helmet ?
    Danish WWII Helmet ?

Third, and last, the M/1923-41 helmet (civil defence):

Danish WWII Helmet ?
    Danish WWII Helmet ?
    Danish WWII Helmet ?
    Danish WWII Helmet ?

And in use by the local resistance right after the war.

Danish WWII Helmet ?

------------------------------
    Source: Løvschall, Frans, "Om den danske stålhjelm m/1923". Våbenhistoriske Årbøger, No. 48, 2003, pp. 123-179.
    Last edited by 37Webbing; 03-05-2017 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Spelling and grammar.

Welcome to the forum Eckeleon, I think you have been superbly given your answer by 37webbing, but in the future please find the right sub-forum to post your items in. This will not only keep the relevant subject matters in the correct areas, but also increase your chances of getting the information you need a thousand fold!! All the best and enjoy the helmet and it's history! Leon.

Thread and contents moved to 'World Helmets'.

A unique looking lid. I'd be happy with
    a Civil type.........!
    Regards,

Steve.