Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Ddr east german nva steel m56

Article about: Hi everyone, Just after some opinions on the following DDR East German NVA Steel M56 helmet that I am considering. I normally collect German WW1 & 2 helmets and Great War Militaria. I kn

Well after starting this post over a year ago I still don’t have one! At the time I discovered that there was a lot more to these than expected and then.....another helmet came up. But thanks for everyone’s input because I would still like to add one to the collection one day (they reflect another turbulent time in in history) and this discussion will serve as a valuable reference tool for myself and other members.

Thanks all,
    Andrew

What’s stopping you mate?......aren’t they common down there?

Quote by Composite View Post
    What’s stopping you mate?......aren’t they common down there?
    There seem to be more appearing in Europe from house clearances etc as opposed to the floods of late M56/74 (sad but we as collectors benefit from these) but the price is not going down rather increasing so sooner would be better depending on priorities. I think postage and customs might be an issue though.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Hey,

They aren't very common here in NZ. A lot of things are not common.
    The internet has helped, but even so it can be expensive to import desired items.
    Goodies that come up for sale on NZ websites are insanely priced, and I usually watch auction houses to get a good deal.
    I have let a few gems slip through my fingers in the past due to being too "nice". I don't regret it though.
    I'm OCD for doing the right thing.
    Military shows are good if you find a table with items priced to sell. I have one i go to every year. it's this month actually.
    The most common DDR helmet that comes up for sale in NZ is the '74.
    I just got lucky that the helmet I got with the lot was a M56, I forgot to come back and post pics. will do now.
    If I see one come up for sale in NZ, I will send you a link Andrew.

Cheers,

Danger
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ddr east german nva steel m56   Ddr east german nva steel m56  

Ddr east german nva steel m56   Ddr east german nva steel m56  

I don't think there's a Fair I go to (in the UK) where there isn't at least one for sale...and of course, there's always ebay and others.....one often sees great deals on ones travels.....but buying another helmet on the "I'm-sure-some-one-will-buy-it-from-me" basis often only ends one way ! :-)

@BlackCat1982

I take a better photo of the stamp.

II

Kind regards
    Basti
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ddr east german nva steel m56  

Another interesting stamp. The stamp is wrong around...

?

I have a question.
    Was the M56 design available earlier? 1950?
    I'm familiar with the M54, but other than the Soviet helmets that the East Germans wore first, what else was used in 1950?
    I've been offered an M56 with II, 12, 50. I'm wondering if it could be a typo?

Cheers,

Danger

?

Well since this one popped back up. I'll play.
    I got this one from Sportsman Guide. It looks unissued. I recently got one of their Ssh40's and that is a 1957 made one , But that one also looks unissued.
    It cannot make all the markings on the M56 because the over paint obscures some of it. But maybe other eagle eyes can see it.
    Ddr east german nva steel m56Ddr east german nva steel m56Ddr east german nva steel m56Ddr east german nva steel m56
    What you see to the left is my M17. It is my Beginning to the End of the Stahlhelm display. Yeah I need a M16 but it works for me!!
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Check the liner it will have a date code, yours doesn't look like a refurb, ie no external rivets.
    Can't find a pic of mine but it's similar to this.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast