Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Denmark clone

Article about: Just to share what was one of the best Helmet's i picked up at this years war and peace ,been after an example of the danish M1 for many a year and this one ticked all the boxes ,hope you li

To me Mark the mesh is an exact match so is the stitched neoprene band.!even down to way its attached to the net at the rear?wouldn't be at all surprised as much US stock ended up in Denmark after the war.!

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    Nice pick up James...,is the net the ww2 us made m1944 net?or an exact postwar copy?cos i can't tell the differance.!
    Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    To me Mark the mesh is an exact match so is the stitched neoprene band.!even down to way its attached to the net at the rear?wouldn't be at all surprised as much US stock ended up in Denmark after the war.!
    The nets are exact copies made / ordered by the Danish army.
    Used from the 1950s - 1990s.

The original nets disappeared in a matter of years after receiving the first batch.
    There is however not way of knowing when it was made. The nets were never dated / stamped in any way.

37 Webbing your comments make sense to its double life ,To me its cries out as an Ex army example ,You are helping me to clear up those small details that play at the back of my mind The shell shows so much issued use that I'm tempted to remove the netting to show you just how much wear and tear overall this helmet shell exhibits ,So this Danish m48 has qualities of both army and civil defence ,that would explain the double shell stamp of which I'll try and take a more detailed picture , Good point on the netting and band Rudders ,It is definitely of a similar construction/weave as the ww2 nets And a Very close match to my British mk11 sword beach relic netting and if i hadn't spotted the LS maker stamp i would of frantically searched for the heat stamp all i can say is when i lifted out the liner the smell of the bunched up netting gave clues it had been there a very long time ,Hardware wise the Bails and T1 catch are a near facsimile to the post 44 Us m1's .I had a choice of two examples which caught my eye ,this one and one which had a black bootlace intertwined through the netting ,If i recall our forum friend Austromunga helped me decide in the end The colour of the liner is hard to do justice on the pictures as it seems darker to the eye ,i would say its more a battleship grey ,here is an example from Nuke helmets.com which i pulled off the internet with the bootlace i mentioned earlier
    As for the nato goggles i added them purely for display purposes ,they are in fact Dutch issue and nicely dated to 1953 Denmark cloneDenmark clone

It was standard procedure to use shoelace in the netting.
    It made it easier to attach grass and foliage.

Denmark clone
    Denmark clone

Denmark clone

------------------------------------------

Your helmet shell is certainly a former army helmet.
    But the liner is because of the colour (dark grey) CF.
    Your helmet shell was part of the enormous amounts of former military equipment the CF had in storage - that would have been issued in a last ditch effort to fend of the consequences of nuclear war.

What I believe the original liner looked like (third helmet - farthest right):
    Denmark clone

The colour of the liner is one of the many shades of "grey" the CF liners are found in.
    The helmet was most likely "born" with a Bakelite liner, and when it made its way to the CF the liner got swapped for the more durable DKI liner. That is the most likely explanation - but stranger things have happened, and it is a pity that the Danish army did not use stock numbers on their helmets like on radio-equipment. Then it would have been easier to keep track of the movements.

Compare the internals of my DEMA liner (Danish Emergency Agency - just a new name, still the CF) with yours:
    Denmark clone

Many thanks for the pictures in use and the extra information regarding the liners ,i assumed with it having green webbing it would denote army use but still not to put me off ,As it was a known part of the helmets history to see civil use I'm still happy and will one day reunite the origin army liner ,here is the extra pictures i mentioned first is a section of the shell wear and paintwork showing the dark green ,it has many scratches visible all over but i decided not to remove the netting, then a close up of the dome stamps ,the LS stamp looks to show either a 59 or 60 marking in the bottom right corner shell size or manufacture date I'm unsure Denmark cloneDenmark cloneDenmark clone

Quote by James C View Post
    Many thanks for the pictures in use and the extra information regarding the liners ,i assumed with it having green webbing it would denote army use but still not to put me off ,As it was a known part of the helmets history to see civil use I'm still happy and will one day reunite the origin army liner ,here is the extra pictures i mentioned first is a section of the shell wear and paintwork showing the dark green ,it has many scratches visible all over but i decided not to remove the netting, then a close up of the dome stamps ,the LS stamp looks to show either a 59 or 60 marking in the bottom right corner shell size or manufacture date I'm unsure
    Very nice!

Well used specimen - I too have a couple with pattern from the helmet netting "etched" into the paint.
    As far as I am informed, the number on your helmet is the date (1959 - 1960).
    That makes it a lot easier for you to determine what liner you need to be looking for.
    What you need is the old Bakelite liner to complete it to a pre-CF condition.

Many thanks for the confirmation on the date stamp and also for the correct liner i require 37 webbing If im right these early resin liners are known for there overbearing bouquet I decided to update the thread with a small timeline of my danish helmets m23 /m48 /m92 Denmark cloneDenmark clone

Quote by James C View Post
    Many thanks for the confirmation on the date stamp and also for the correct liner i require 37 webbing If im right these early resin liners are known for there overbearing bouquet I decided to update the thread with a small timeline of my danish helmets m23 /m48 /m92
    Very nice!
    Yes, the Danish Bakelite / resin liners smell horrid. Very horrid. I usually store them in a cloth bag in the closet.
    However, the Army liners smell a little less horrid when compared, in a very unscientific manner, to the CF liners (with my nose). I believe it is because they saw more use. Most of the CF helmets were kept in storage during most of the Cold War.

But it makes it easier to identify a Danish liner when out "shopping". People are often very exited to be rid of the liners because of the smell.

Now you need a M/46 and a M/92. Then you have the "highlights" of Danish army helmet history.
    Then you can always venture forth into the realm of navy and all the different CF helmets.

Hello to all,
    as always James, whit this nice helmet, has been able to develop a very interesting discussion.
    If it may be interesting here is a mint condition Danish M48, intended for "Civil Forsvaret" use, with its gray coloration.

Regards
    Roberto

Denmark cloneDenmark cloneDenmark cloneDenmark cloneDenmark cloneDenmark cloneDenmark clone

Quote by OldSteel View Post
    Hello to all,
    as always James, whit this nice helmet, has been able to develop a very interesting discussion.
    If it may be interesting here is a mint condition Danish M48, intended for "Civil Forsvaret" use, with its gray coloration.

Regards
    Roberto
    Very nice!
    A pity it looks as if someone scratched the decals away on each side of the helmet.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast