Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Denmark clone

Article about: Just to share what was one of the best Helmet's i picked up at this years war and peace ,been after an example of the danish M1 for many a year and this one ticked all the boxes ,hope you li

Quote by 37Webbing View Post
    Very nice!
    A pity it looks as if someone scratched the decals away on each side of the helmet.

Hello 37Webbing,
    interesting idea the question of the decal, you might be right; I have not thought about this, but they were just scratches caused by the chin strap buckle of a helmet superimposed during storage.
    Thanks for the hint, I try to better control if there are traces of the decal.

Regards
    Roberto

I have this helmet, a European version of the M1. I bought it from Denmark.

The shell is grey inside and out. There is a crown + CF ink or paint stamp inside the helmet. There is a numeral (29007) stamped in the applied rim at the inside rear of the helmet. The shell is magnetic.

The chinstrap is grey fabric with large-head rivets which I usually take to be Danish. Shell strap loops are swivel-type.

The liner is a dark red-brown and has a distinct resinous odour. It is painted grey, and the paint is flaking on the lower edges.

The liner chinstrap is brown leather. The fabric fittings of the liner are grey herringbone pattern. There are no markings in the liner except for the word 'MEDIUM' as a faded red stamp on the nape strap.

I would very much like someone with detailed knowledge of Danish-issued helmets to tell me exactly what this is.

Denmark clone Denmark clone Denmark clone

Denmark clone Denmark clone Denmark clone

Quote by Greg Pickersgill View Post
    I have this helmet, a European version of the M1. I bought it from Denmark.

The shell is grey inside and out. There is a crown + CF ink or paint stamp inside the helmet. There is a numeral (29007) stamped in the applied rim at the inside rear of the helmet. The shell is magnetic.

The chinstrap is grey fabric with large-head rivets which I usually take to be Danish. Shell strap loops are swivel-type.

The liner is a dark red-brown and has a distinct resinous odour. It is painted grey, and the paint is flaking on the lower edges.

The liner chinstrap is brown leather. The fabric fittings of the liner are grey herringbone pattern. There are no markings in the liner except for the word 'MEDIUM' as a faded red stamp on the nape strap.

I would very much like someone with detailed knowledge of Danish-issued helmets to tell me exactly what this is.
    Greg,

Your helmet is one of the first M1 clones produced in Denmark, prior to the CF received old surplus US M1 helmets.
    The CF is the Danish Civilforsvaret (Civil Defence). The organisation was formed in 1949 and was officially a part of the army, albeit their members were unarmed, and non-combatants as dictated by the Geneva Convention.

The grey colour was the standard colour of the CF from 1949 - 1990s.

The helmet is made of magnetic steel (most likely Swedish steel) and produced in Denmark. By what company is unclear, but most likely the company A/S Glud og Marstrands Fabriker. The same company that made the M/23, M/41 and M/46 helmets.

The helmet were never intended for the army.

The liner is the 1950s Bakelite / resin liner, that often have a very distinctive smell to it. A tell-tale sign that the liner is Danish.
    The same type of liner is found in the M1 helmets used by the Danish army - until the introduction of the DKI liners (termo-plastic) in the 60s-70s. The army liners have green or karkee coloured straps on the inside. The CF have grey.

All in all, your M1 clone is a Danish CF helmet made during the 1950s. Never issued, and most likely released during the 1993 re-organisation of the CF into the DEMA (Danish Emergency Management Agency).

Thank you! I know I've been over this before, but there was always nagging doubt in my mind as to whether I had all the facts straight. What you have said confirms, thankfully, that what I thought I understood was true.

So, to be clear -

The magnetic shell is made specifically for the CF. It is not the same as the Army issue, which would have been non-magnetic. And green? No number stamped in the rear? The reason I ask is that I have a number of CF helmets and I believe at least some original Danish-made M48 were reissued to the CF - what should I be looking for?

The liner is the same as that originally issued with the M48. Except for the colour of the fabric fittings. Is the difference in colour obvious? Can you point me to a colour comparison?

Thank you! I know I've been over this before, but there was always nagging doubt in my mind as to whether I had all the facts straight. What you have said confirms, thankfully, that what I thought I understood was true.

So, to be clear -

The magnetic shell is made specifically for the CF. It is not the same as the Army issue, which would have been non-magnetic. And green? No number stamped in the rear? The reason I ask is that I have a number of CF helmets and I believe at least some original Danish-made M48 were reissued to the CF - what should I be looking for?

The liner is the same as that originally issued with the M48. Except for the colour of the fabric fittings. Is the difference in colour obvious? Can you point me to a colour comparison?
    Excellent questions.

Yes, the magnetic shells are made only for the CF. The Army issued shells were non-magnetic and in a greenish colour that varied a lot. No number stamps in the rear - only heat stamps. From the 1960s and 70s most have an ink-stamp on the inside (if not repainted or too used) with the maker and year of manufacture. The three main suppliers of M1 clones to Denmark was:
    - Austria: Heinrich Ulbricht's Witwe, Schwanenstadt (stamp: U.SCH.)
    - Germany: Linnemann Schnatzer, Ahlen (stamp: LS) and Busch Vereinigten Deutsche Nickelwerke AG Schwerte (stamp: VDN)

The M/48 helmet used with the Danish army was in the very beginning surplus US M1 helmets. All through the late 1940s and early 1950s the Danish army used M1 helmets made in the US. In the very late 1950s, 1960s and 1970s the army bought large quantities of Austrian and German M1 clones. Why the CF received new helmets from the beginning, and the army not, is a good question.

As the M1 clones made in Denmark were of poorer quality, large amounts of the same model as the army helmets were issued from the 1960s / 70s and onwards. That is why it is possible to find CF helmets stamped with the LS, VDN or U.SCH. stamps. The clones of Danish origin was put into deep storage, and only surfaced 10-15 years ago, when DEMA began clearing out all the old stockpiles.

Years to remember:
    1948: Introduction of the US m1 helmet.
    1957: A/S Glud og Marstrand produces the Danish M1 clone.
    1959-1960: LS is the first company to deliver M1 clones to the Danish Army.
    1963: The DKI (Dansk Kunsttofindustri) liner is introduced. Sold to Norway and the Netherlands as well.
    1965: U.SCH. is the next great supplier of M1 clones to Denmark.
    1978: New and very different chinstrap is introduced.
    1992-1993: The M1 is no longer used for international missions.

The difference in colour between the army and CF resin liners are very noticeable.
    Compare your liner, to my early army liner:

Denmark clone
    Last edited by 37Webbing; 10-12-2016 at 01:59 PM. Reason: More dates!

Excellent answer! I feel very strongly that helmets like these are unjustly overlooked. Hundreds of books about German Third Reich helmets, half a book about Danish (well, just a couple of pages about the M48, really!). and there are many interesting points and many questions. You have done a great job in making all this more understandable.

There's a whole collection to be made of these, but they are, I think, genuinely hard to find and in some cases - the original Danish M48 shells - actually rare. Unfortunately I have gone though my little mound of a dozen or so Danish helmets and already found that I definately don't have a genuine army liner, and that even though I do have some non-magnetic shells they are all 1960s dated Schuberths. I'm kind of guessing that these things are not much easier to find in Denmark than they are in Wales. Still, inspiration to keep looking.

Excellent answer! I feel very strongly that helmets like these are unjustly overlooked. Hundreds of books about German Third Reich helmets, half a book about Danish (well, just a couple of pages about the M48, really!). and there are many interesting points and many questions. You have done a great job in making all this more understandable.

There's a whole collection to be made of these, but they are, I think, genuinely hard to find and in some cases - the original Danish M48 shells - actually rare. Unfortunately I have gone though my little mound of a dozen or so Danish helmets and already found that I definately don't have a genuine army liner, and that even though I do have some non-magnetic shells they are all 1960s dated Schuberths. I'm kind of guessing that these things are not much easier to find in Denmark than they are in Wales. Still, inspiration to keep looking.
    No, they are not easy to find in Denmark either, and it is getting increasingly difficult to find good honest helmets. The problem being, that they for years were rather undesirable and still are for many older collectors. I imagine that in a couple of decades, they will increase in popularity as the Cold War will be further away in memory and the younger collectors (now in their 20s) will be more inclined to collect something that belonged to their grandparents and parent generation than WWII militaria. But it is purely speculation, and I believe that Cold War militaria will never be as popular as WWII militaria.

At the moment I own one of almost every model used in Denmark, apart from a good 1970s/80s version of the CF helmet and one of the helmets used by the air force. But I am getting there.

If you are looking for a smelly Danish resin liner, look for "re-furbished" re-enactment helmets. Often the US and clone shells alike are stripped of their Danish paint, repainted in a WWII suitable colour and sold for the re-enactment market wit the Danish resin liner still in place - albeit with a different liner chin strap.

They do however turn up in Denmark at flee markets and car boot sales, as many Home Guards members were allowed to keep their helmet. In recent years many of the original members (from the 1950s) have died and their belongings have been spread far and wide. Their old kit too.

For those that want to see the Danish M1 helmets in use, I present this little gem from 1961.
    It is in Danish, but I think most on here will be able to recognise a few things used by other NATO countries.

I did some "google-fu", and discovered to my great joy that one of the companies that made the Danish M1 clones, Ulbrichts (the U.SCH. stamp) in Schwanenstadt is STILL making helmets - but now composites only: Company | Ulbrichts Witwe GmbH

VDN is bankrupt, and LS is not making helmets any more.
    Only compressed air tanks and other metallic containers for the industry.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I almost forgot the Danish M1 police helmet, with the black DKI liner, during our discussion.
    Sadly the chinstraps is broken, but the helmet is in great shape non the less.
    The maker is U.SCH.

Denmark clone

Denmark clone

Denmark clone

Denmark clone

Denmark clone

Denmark clone

Denmark clone

Denmark clone

Denmark clone

Denmark clone

Denmark clone

Hi James here are the liners I picked up
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Denmark clone   Denmark clone  

Denmark clone   Denmark clone  

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast