Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Does anyone have any suggestions for beginner helmets?

Article about: I'm looking for something good, relatively cheap (\\$1-\\$60), NOT a repro, and could maybe survive a nuclear apocalypse. Besides all of that, Im willing to buy anything that is used or new. Reg

Bulgarian m36's, Swiss m18's, and Swedish m26's are all relatively cheap and are from the war time era.

When I first started collecting, I wanted Second World War examples, so I went for ground dug Relics which were a fraction of the cost of complete examples. I liked the fact they had seen combat use and as a beginner having hands on experience alongside the books was a great way to learn what to look for.

If you ever want to upgrade in the future to more complete examples, which come with a price tag to match, it can hit your wallet hard if you get it wrong, the more knowledge under your belt the better.
    Regards James

Quote by James C View Post
    When I first started collecting, I wanted Second World War examples, so I went for ground dug Relics which were a fraction of the cost of complete examples. I liked the fact they had seen combat use and as a beginner having hands on experience alongside the books was a great way to learn what to look for.

If you ever want to upgrade in the future to more complete examples, which come with a price tag to match, it can hit your wallet hard if you get it wrong, the more knowledge under your belt the better.
    To be honest, I kind of want to buy a relic condition helmet and maybe, just possibly restore it.

MAP
    ?

Ebay for relics in the US. Just stay with the no decal examples.

But you really can't "restore" a ground dug relic. Nor should they be.

If you are looking for an original "shell", I personally would not restore it. Not worth the time or effort or $ put into it. It's also better left untouched. They still display well. Most dealer (all dealers that I know) don't sell just shells.

But...if you can find a post war painted/messed with original shell (local shows, ebay), and want a project, then you can try to restore it, but again, the money put into it will never be recouped.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

the EAST GERMAN M56 or later variants are collectable and affordable , I remember back in the 1980's before the unification of East / West Germany, these were over $200 and up

now you can find them for $20 - $30 in the US , because they used to be very hard to get
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Does anyone have any suggestions for beginner helmets?  
    Attached Images Attached Images Does anyone have any suggestions for beginner helmets? 

Sorry to ask, but does anyone know the exporting restrictions in china, as I couldn't find any sources. And no, i'm not buying a reproduction helmet from china. To do so would ruin any person's (Collector's) honor. I'm actually thinking of buying a GK80 from china (As I have relatives there).

Photos of GK80's

This one with a Type 07 camo.

This one with a parade/presentation badge, pretty cool.
    Last edited by RobloxHelmets; 02-18-2020 at 03:47 AM.

?

Currently there are no incoming or outgoing commercial flights(Cargo) due to the "Infectious Disease". Many are not allowed to exit their houses.
    Well that is what the seller in China messaged me after he had to cancel my order for one of those Star war helmets my son wanted.

Semper Fi
    Phil

IMO they should just check everything that goes in and out of china. Probably should just spray everything with that suspicious white gas that they spray on the streets in wuhan.

No, but not right now. I am saying in general, would they allow a U.S. citizen to export a military helmet to the United States.

?

It's a difficult question to be sure about, the real question is how comfortable are your relatives are doing it. If people are selling them on ebay than generally it will be alright. Helmets don't attract a huge amount of attention, don't put 'army' or 'military' on the paperwork. Under $25 is the magic number for shipping to China to avoid hold ups - I don't know if it makes a difference the other way.

Steve.

?

With respect to which helmet to buy - be warned there is no such thing as one. I personally wouldn't go for refurbishing relics unless it's a challenge you want to do, you will not get a return on your investment and it will only lose it's historical value.

Every suggestion you have had is correct, you just need to decide what direction you want to go in, so the next helmet you buy compliments it. The Cold War stuff is a great entry point for cost, growing interest and not faked.

Good luck

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast