Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Don't know the type

Article about: If I rub that helmet with a cloth with acetone, firstly little spots of the red paint vanish. So I have to continue with rubbing. But when I do that, I rub away the original colour in those

?

Default Re: Don't know the type

I would stop using acetone,try just paint thinner..it is not as aggressive.

?

Might be a good idea at this point to take it to a paint store and ask their recommendation.

?

This is what I use,its called Nitromores paint remover.Its very aggresive though and you have to be careful but because its water soluable you can halt the progress of the acid immediately.By doing small ares at a time you can watch the top paint bubble and lift then wipe away with a wet cloth .By dabbing on with a 1" paintbrush you get enough on the area being done plus your not soaking the whole helmet in water.Any areas that are stubborn just re-apply the stripper in smaller amount and repeat the process.This requires patience but the results are well worth it, to get used to this type of process start on the inside of the helmet where its less likely to show .

ronl
    ?

I'd try the acetone first. I just wet a spot on a rag and start rubbing very gently. Rub just enough to take the top coat off. Don't be too aggressive. I have done several helmets that wat and am working on a US fixed bale helmet right now for a friend.

Smile Re: Don't know the type

I am well impressed with your finds mate, well done.

if you ever get bored of them, i would happily re-home them for you,!!!

Brilliant stuff, keep it coming!!

Gaz

This is turning out to be an interesting thread OrangSoldier, I think it might actually be a good idea to practice on some of the non-wartime helmets that are at the firestation, it would be better than mucking around with the real thing

Thanks

Danny

?

GUYS, have you ever thought thgat they may have used a fire resistant paint after all they are firemen helmets. If they have then its bound to be resistant to some chemical cleaning,all of our suggestions dont seem to be working very well,lets try another method, start with the mildest type of chemical, methalated spirits,if no joy try white spirit and use the finest wire wool there is or a kitchen fibre scourer of course avoid the decal area and if need be try to take layers of paint away at a time and not the entire covering,i just wish i was there to help you do this as ive never had any trouble with removing paint even stubborn layers, its just a matter of patience dont try to clean the helmet all at once , if need be take a week over it. Remember if there are decals they may be covered with a lacquer as per most helmets of this period and chemical cleaning may remove it and the decal .We will get this right eventually.

?

Default Well, how 'bout dis???

Look, IF there is a decal under there, and IF you can get the paint off, Then it is a helmet of some value (maybe). The best thing to do is find an antique restoration company in your area and spend the money to have THEM do it correctly. They do this kind of thing all of the time and can tell you if it is even feasible. IF you keep on trying this and that chemical you are going to end up with a heap of poop.

Good luck, buddy!.

?

Yeah that is another way, or better still get as many as those helmets you can and put them up for sale to members of the forum and let us have ago lol.

?

Quote by davejb View Post
    Yeah that is another way, or better still get as many as those helmets you can and put them up for sale to members of the forum and let us have ago lol.
    Dave: I believe that to be the most viable solution of all! We deserve it!

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast