MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Dutch VB Civil Defense Helmet

Article about: Greetings all, I am sure these have been covered here before, but I thought I would share my much loved example. A 1955 Dutch MkII clone, a Verernigde Blikfabrieken (United Tin Factories) ma

Default Dutch VB Civil Defense Helmet

Greetings all,

I am sure these have been covered here before, but I thought I would share my much loved example.

A 1955 Dutch MkII clone, a Verernigde Blikfabrieken (United Tin Factories) made Civil Defense helmet. This model was made before this date and they were issued to the Army, however in 1956 all were destined for the Civil Defense dept. It is my understanding these attractive helmets were in use until the 1980's.

Not sure the origin of the net, it's too small to be an American M1 net, perhaps Commonwealth?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Dutch VB Civil Defense Helmet   Dutch VB Civil Defense Helmet  

Dutch VB Civil Defense Helmet   Dutch VB Civil Defense Helmet  

Dutch VB Civil Defense Helmet   Dutch VB Civil Defense Helmet  

Last edited by christek; 03-23-2014 at 07:44 AM.

?

Hi Chris, I can understand why this one is a favourite to you, it's in fantastic condition. Regarding the net I can only assume it's a locally made product, it's also intersting tho see the distinctive Dutch chinstrap fastening, which must have been a winning design as it was transferred to the Dutch M1...cool

My 56 dated example picked up in the flea market in Amsterdam when I lived there.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Dutch VB Civil Defense Helmet  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

I have one of these mine is marked VB56 1SLN I got it on ebay thinking it was British but the found out it was Dutch and used by a Reenactor as these are cheeper.
    Best Regards Matt

On the look out for original ww2 M26 Adrian helmet liner.

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    My 56 dated example picked up in the flea market in Amsterdam when I lived there.
    Thanks for sharing, a great clean example! interesting that the crown padding appears to have eroded in both our examples. I wonder what material these were made of?

Quote by christek View Post
    Thanks for sharing, a great clean example! interesting that the crown padding appears to have eroded in both our examples. I wonder what material these were made of?
    The Dutch made liners for the VB helmets have a different set up and don't have a crown pad in the same manner as the two types seen in British liners, though there does seem to be a part missing.

Mk.II - Netherlands - The Brodie Helmet and its derivatives
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.