MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Early Austrian M58 liners

Article about: Hi all Two new acquisitions for my collection arrived yesterday!!! Both were bought as Austrian M1 clones... now one has the first pattern 1959 dated fibre type liner with a nice Vizeleutnan

Great stuff! Excellent observation and explanation. I can feel my enthusiasm for these often-ignored helmets re-igniting as I type. Good man!

Seriously, you have provided more real content in your posts about these helmets than can be found anywhere else. This is a genuiine step forward. And what helmet-collecting is really all about. (And your enthusiasm is so infectious!)

Very nice, indeed.

Warm Regards,

Justin1

Ok so.......i think its time I revived this old Austrian M58 thread... with my latest addition to my Early M58 Resonated liners collection!!
    This one sadly has no makers stamp on the webbing, or any sign of HBA marks..but on the plus side, it shows very little signs of wear... and is marked with my old favourite "cross" on the top..but in the less used (early??) white this time..
    It came in an M58 shell with the refurbished M75 paint...and Boxed stitched (reused??) chinstraps... it retains only one clasp of the open type...and its amazing it still has that...as the closing seam is way too loose..and it is soo easy for the clasp to "escape" (see pics)..
    It also came with my fave early type M58 hand tied net...I just love em!!!!

With regards to a comment From Ocad on the M75 thread....I believe mostly the makers marks on the early M58 liners both resonated and the second type thermoplastic type...the webbing was marked on the "roll" and its pot luck as to if and when a liner will have the mark evident...as is the case on one of my examples...as clearly it couldn't have been stamped "in situ" as the "A" washer fouls the stamp...and the stamp is pierced by the "A" washer rivet!!! (see pic)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Early Austrian M58 liners   Early Austrian M58 liners  

Early Austrian M58 liners   Early Austrian M58 liners  

?

What a beautiful helmet indeed. 1st pattern liner, 1958 date and early camo net... what more could you ask for? You definately got lucky with this find! To me that chinstrap looks like the helmet’s original just with those crossed tacks (repaired or reenforced?) and the later buckle system, which would have been quite easy to replace. Slipping the old fittings out and slipping in the new buckle and prong.

Thanks Ocad!!
    The shell is a refurbished to M75 spec.... the makers mark is barely visible under the respray but looks to be U-SCH from the sixties....and what more could I ask for...well a first type brown leather liner chinstrap!!??...seriously though im happy with this set as it came...

Last weekend I found four more Austrian shells!!....as follows....
    U-sch 57!! sadly repainted on the outside in M75 green!!,
    Usch 69/ batch 27 with HBA 1970,
    U-SCH 73 with HBA 1974, and finally
    RM 68 batch 3 HBA 1968....

Oh....and two liners...(one M75 "10" lobe)

And....this one... the most interesting of the liners....its a M58 thermoplastic liner refurbished to M75 spec (paint peeling) with the ridell suspension replaced with an unissued M75 leather (AJ 92) and webbing cross strap...and the blanking rivet's to fill the holes left by removal of the old rivet's....interesting enough??....perhaps!!??........but a peep at the crown inside, revealed something strange..... Ulbrichts patent mark..and SCH 71!!!!!

This is most unusual for an M58 thermoplastic liner!! ...as they are not normally either maker-marked or dated !!!!...as a bonus!!....this liner came in a very nice "little used" U-SCH 73 shell...with federclamen and, HBA 1974.. which it fits perfectly!!! being the M58 dark grey liner!!......

SO............

I'm also now 110% sure!!!!.....that the federclammen were first used in 1973...and not the much later supposed date of 1976!!! and in turn,.. that my theory about the 73' shell with federclamen only properly fit with the M58 liner!!!...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Early Austrian M58 liners   Early Austrian M58 liners  

Last edited by austromunga; 03-14-2018 at 06:51 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4