Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

English Civil War Triple Bar Helmet

Article about: Hello ladies & gents...here is an item I was looking at! I was wondering if there is anybody who could shed some light on this?. I know it is a little old & not a WR subject, but I w

?

Default English Civil War Triple Bar Helmet

Hello ladies & gents...here is an item I was looking at! I was wondering if there is anybody who could shed some light on this?. I know it is a little old & not a WR subject, but I was wondering if anybody knows anything about this item?..I'm thinking it is so old is it the real deal?? Thanks for your time Terry.English Civil War Triple Bar HelmetEnglish Civil War Triple Bar HelmetEnglish Civil War Triple Bar HelmetEnglish Civil War Triple Bar HelmetEnglish Civil War Triple Bar HelmetEnglish Civil War Triple Bar HelmetEnglish Civil War Triple Bar HelmetEnglish Civil War Triple Bar HelmetEnglish Civil War Triple Bar Helmet

?

Default Re: English Civil War Triple Bar Helmet

Sorry I don't have any experience with this item. But I would like to say I think it is very interesting item and hope you get some feedback from somebody.
    Very Cool!!!! Good luck!!!!
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Very cool! I imagine the experts in this field are few and far between...

It is certainly an interesting helmet...

?

Got to be some oldies on here I'm sure???. Maybe not as old as the helmet ?... lol..but old!! Cheers Terry.

It's a 'Lobster Pot' helmet as used by troops on both sides during the English Civil War in the 17th century. I doubt it's real as a few things don't really add up. First, it appears to be made of steel, or at least some of it, mass production of it wasn't invented then. Note the swaging and the rolled edge on the helmet, you can't do that easily with iron, and these things were hand made by blacksmiths and armourers, not on machinery, yet the helm appears too smoothly and precisely 'hammered' out to be done by hand. I reckon it's a 20th century copy, there's thousands out there, but then again, if it's got provenance and a more experienced eye cast over it....Maybe, but i'm sceptical.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Cheers Ned I was sceptical myself that is one reason I posted it.....A 300 odd year old helmet is going some!! But seeing that I know sod all about these things..I thought it would good to ask!!!. Also I learnt something today as I hadn't really thought at all about when steel was invented!!!lol. Cheers Terry.

One thing I am fairly sure of is that the design is English, as it has 3 bars to protect the face. The other main type only had a single nose protecting bar, and these were nearly always of Dutch manufacture. These helmets are out there, but tbh i'd expect a bit more wear and repair on this one if it were genuine, but who knows?

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Cheers Ned..all interesting stuff..I did ask the guy who is selling it about it's where abouts & it's history.But all he know's it is from a gent who has had in his collection for along time..Other than that I know nothing!!!! Cheers Terry.

JBR
    ?

A good start at authenticating might be here: Lobster-tailed pot helmet (zischagge) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You could try emailing the pics to the Royal Armouries in Leeds? Or The Wallace Collection in London.

Also, someone in the Sealed Knot or English Civil War societies (re-inactment/living history) is bound to know if you can make contact with them. Best Regards,

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast