Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

English Civil War Triple Bar Helmet

Article about: Hello ladies & gents...here is an item I was looking at! I was wondering if there is anybody who could shed some light on this?. I know it is a little old & not a WR subject, but I w

Default Re: English Civil War Triple Bar Helmet

good evening terry , its an interesting piece ,i had lobster pot on my mind the minute i saw it but i see ned has already stated this ,i am in no position to say whether it is original or not but the most striking thing is the field repair to the rear apron ,i cant see why any reproduction would have this ,anyway it would be a great display piece and a talking point im sure ,i like it ,regards james
    Regards James

Could be a film prop-plenty of those needed for those 'hedgehog' scenes from film and TV over the years-'By The Sword Divided' anyone?

?

Cheers James..I was just looking at it the main problem is the price!! It isn't coming in cheap lol.. So I need to think about it!!!. But I do agree with you a good talking point..just make sure I dont get hammered on a BBQ & start wearing it!!!!... Cheers Terry.

Sadly. lots of copies of ancient weapons and armour were made in the Victorian period and I think this is likely to be one of them, as it has some age to it but not 350 years worth IMHO. Cool item if cheap enough.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

I have to agree with Ned and Jerry on this helmet-it looks to my eyes like a 19th century replica. The 4 centuries of aging just isnt there on this piece.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

The partner in a certain "untrustworthy" Nottingham militaria dealer was a dab hand in making these and making them look old !
    Prost ! Steve.

?

Cheers Gents for all the info on the helmet..Loks like I won't buying this 1...I should think there isn't many of these helmets on the market that are real!!!. To last 350 odd years is good going...I did think it would make a good talking point for my pre Worlds display but it isn't cheap...so that won't be happening!!! Cheers Terry.

..I have one which is correct, on mine all bolts and fittments are handmade...are these on here ?? also there should be oxidisation between joints...its really hard to explain..unless you know how metal ages there is a big difference between 400 year old aging and faked !! steve

...also the example I have has armourer markings from arsenal on it...before spending money be sure what your buying as theres a lot of junk out there !!

Hi Terry, Originals of these do come on the market fairly often. However as was stated before many copies of these and medieval armour were made during the Victorian era as even then the demand for decorating the family pile far exceeded supply.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast