Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Estonian helmet???

Article about: I agree with Dimas Polish expermental helmet that was sold to Estonia later on Im not sure what a Swedish helmet would be doing in Estonia?

3mk
    ?

Default Re: Estonian helmet???

I agree with Dimas Polish expermental helmet that was sold to Estonia later on

Im not sure what a Swedish helmet would be doing in Estonia?

Thank you all for the help

Here some pictures after cleaning:

Estonian helmet???Estonian helmet???Estonian helmet???Estonian helmet???Estonian helmet???

?

beauty

Is there any connection between the Swedish designers and the Polish? The M37 and this M40 are like close family to me?

Cheers,
    Emile

?

Quote by emileverbunt View Post
    Is there any connection between the Swedish designers and the Polish? The M37 and this M40 are like close family to me?

Cheers,
    Emile
    Polish designers? It IS the Swedish m/37. It's just a different liner for this export version.

The liner obviously is a copy of the French M26 liner. As are the chinstrap posts.

But if this helmet is identified as an Estonian M40 that has been imported from Poland and the shell looks so similar to the Swedish M37, I wonder what the history is? What is it?

Swedish M37 helmet experimented with by the Poles, not accepted by them and sold off to Estonia?

Polish design experimented with by the Poles, not accepted, batch sold off to the Estonians and the design sold to the Swedes?

The Swedes sold their M37 helmet shell's to Estonia where a French liner was fitted? (The Swedes sold M37's to the Finn's in 1939 as far as I know, with Swedish liners fitted)

Why would the Poles fit a French liner? They had their own perfectly good design. Or was the liner fitted by the Estonians?

Do you have a theory, Dimas?

Cheers,
    Emile

?

Quote by emileverbunt View Post
    The liner obviously is a copy of the French M26 liner. As are the chinstrap posts.

But if this helmet is identified as an Estonian M40 that has been imported from Poland and the shell looks so similar to the Swedish M37, I wonder what the history is? What is it?

Swedish M37 helmet experimented with by the Poles, not accepted by them and sold off to Estonia?

Polish design experimented with by the Poles, not accepted, batch sold off to the Estonians and the design sold to the Swedes?

The Swedes sold their M37 helmet shell's to Estonia where a French liner was fitted? (The Swedes sold M37's to the Finn's in 1939 as far as I know, with Swedish liners fitted)

Why would the Poles fit a French liner? They had their own perfectly good design. Or was the liner fitted by the Estonians?

Do you have a theory, Dimas?

Cheers,
    Emile
    These are Swedish m/37 made for export. These were made by Sandvikens Jernverk in Sandviken, Sweden. All Swedish helmet models were fitted with a huge variety of liners for testing and export purposes. I don't know if these liners came with the helmet, but probably they did, these helmets are pre-made for the liner.

What I've read here they were sold to Poland for testing (don't know why though, Poland had a good modern helmet) and then later to Estonia.

Sweden sold m/37 helmets to Finland in 1940 and also production license.

Hi Engman,

That is a perfectly logical explanation! A Swedish M37 helmet, made for export, finally ending up on Estonian soil.

Thanks!
    Emile

Oldtimer
    ?

Dear All Members of this Forum!

I`m a new member of this forum and I`m happy to be here. I`m writing from Poznan in Poland.

I have a question to EngmanL I found your posts because I`m just know on writing a book with my friend, also a collector, about the Polish steel helmets 1915-1980. The first part 1915-1939 is nearly ready and I`m scanning the traces of exporting Polish helmets to other countries.
    The story about selling the Swedish steel helmets to Estonia seems to be very interesting for me.
    I have another example of the Swedish M21 steel helmet, but painted and fitted with Polish liner and chinstrap. This was made 100% in Poland around 1937. Do you know anything about this or have you any more information.
    May I eventually send you pictures?
    I will be very grateful about any information, because this is very interesting and totally unknow story in Poland.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast