Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

French M51 OTAN

Article about: Our latest pickup...... Russ & Son

Default Re: French M51 OTAN

Nice helmet, on my list to get one soon! Thanks for sharing

russ i would also say after looking at mine your headband is original to the liner
    Regards James

Quote by col james View Post
    russ i would also say after looking at mine your headband is original to the liner
    THanks for the info and confirmation James, it looks like we did OK with this lid. Now......on to the next one

JBR
    ?

On the condition question, several French militaria/army surplus dealers attend shows in the UK (eg War & Peace in July). In recent years they've brought over truck loads of brand new M51s complete with brown paper wrapping. UK surplus dealers have also got hold of these and I've bought a few at remarkably reasonable prices. The French army supply system must've just held onto them right up until the Spectra became universal, I suppose. I'm very fond of M51s. Best Regards,

Ah, the excellent mle51! Have I said before that you could build a *huge* collection out of the variants of this one model alone? Well, if I have its worth saying again.

By the way, the Portuguese (M940) and South African versions - both made locally, not imported - are different in significant ways to any of the three main French variants. Fortunately for us (me) as collectors there is only one model of each Portuguese and SA, so one of each, job done.

?

Fantastic addition, nice early liner fitted too,congrats on adding this to your collection!

good evening russ ,i know there's nothing more annoying than other members hijacking threads but im sure you would like to see the twin i mentioned earlier ,even the liner chinstrap is the same type and colour ,next to her is my gendarmerie m51 ,hope you dont mind ,jamesFrench M51 OTAN
    Regards James

Quote by col james View Post
    good evening russ ,i know there's nothing more annoying than other members hijacking threads but im sure you would like to see the twin i mentioned earlier ,even the liner chinstrap is the same type and colour ,next to her is my gendarmerie m51 ,hope you dont mind ,jamesFrench M51 OTAN
    Certainly I do not mind.....each thread, no matter who's is a string of information for all.......

Great looking lids by the way. Sounds like there were plaunty of these minty lids floating around so I feel better now. Got to dress our up next!

Russ & Son

G'day Russ and Son

Nice one you guys have there
    Here's my pair and net, the 63 one with the dirty liner was South African issued

JBR
    ?

37webbing's comment about the French spoiling the M1's pleasing lines with the M51 is an interesting aspect, I think. When the British Army evaluated the M1 one of the things they didn't like was the way rain water runs straight off the back and down the soldier's neck! Of course, this drawback doesn't seem to have compromised the M1's worldwide success story, as history has shown. However, the M1 isn't perfect and I wouldn't be surprised if the French Army came to the same conclusion and insisted on a wider brim to the rear. Likewise, perhaps they felt the M1's pronounced peak was unnecessary and reduced it in the M51. Just guesses. If you look at the evolution of the French steel helmet, though, you can't help but get a whiff of Gallic style. In my opinion, the M51 is (in aesthetic terms) an M1 with a pronounced French accent! I admire the French for doing things 'their way' rather than just slavishly following what everybody else does. It doesn't mean they're always right, just different. It's the enormous range of differences that makes helmet collecting so enjoyable for me - at the moment, especially the M1 and it's derivatives. Best Regards,

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2