Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

The French mle45 Jeanne d'Arc

Article about: Here's a little show&tell on one of my favourite helmets. Actually it probably *is* my favourite helmet, I have nine of them now and always feel a very strong impulse to buy any that eve

Syd
    ?

Thanks.
    I have my eyes on one which is stampede 1950, dark blue.
    Auction ends monday.

Syd
    ?

Wink

Got the my Mle 45 today.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The French mle45 Jeanne d'Arc  

Lovely Examples shown Greg and the other members who have posted also and one of which i would like to add to my collection one day ,i am just wanting to ask if you know the reason why the majority were Air Force issue please ?
    Regards James

Quote by James C View Post
    i am just wanting to ask if you know the reason why the majority were Air Force issue please ?
    Good question. Perhaps one of the French collectors can answer it more fully and accurately than I can. I have not found anything in published books to explain this (so far anyway) and I can only theorise. We know, for example, that many ex-US M1 helmets were used by the French forces in Indo-China in the early to mid 1950s. This was before the widespread issue of the *new* mle51. So it would simply be that there was so real demand for it - and no real love for it either, as it was quickly shown that the rear of the helmet tended to catch of backpacks when lying down. Remember, it was in essence developed from the mle35 which was a mobile troops helmet where that sort of thing might have been less of a nuisance.

Actually I tend to think the problem is that the Jeanne d'Arc was in the wrong place at the wrong time - a particularly pleasing helmet to look at, but a bit useless in practical terms. The more workaday mle51 easily overtook it.

Thanks Greg for your thoughts ,I suppose a long front brim would be unsuitable around an Air Force base environment so i see why this example would be better suited for bump protection and a better all round visibility for the wearer
    Regards James

Hello

Maybe one on the explaination is that army and airforce are separated entities with separated budget and their orders are also distinct.

Army also reused a big stock of M26, M35 and US M1 that were more fitted for fight.
    The M35 was looking more "modern" in 45 when comando's used it, whish drove to the creation of the "Jeanne d'Arc".
    The display is nice and will work for static position (Like for Airfors ground security forces) but will not be good for real combat if you need to lay down and fire. Most specificaly in Indochina with a Guerilla war.

Bruno

Interesting thread, I actually have an M26 shell and it appears to have the same type of chinstrap as this mle 45 helmet, with the screw on the other side, looking at it now after having read this, the screw was indeed about to come loose , by the way, does anyone know where to get a good M26 helmet liner original or repro, just something that fits to be honest, I'd like the helmet to be complete
    Luis

Thank you, Steve, I will definitely keep that in mind. They do look well made and I mean the shipping shouldn't be through the roof either
    Luis

Hello

Do you have a photo of your helmet and liner?

Bruno

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast