Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

French OTAN M51 Helmet

Article about: Nice Rene, been meaning to pick one up for a while but something else always comes up. Going to start working on it today. I like them a lot. Thanks, John

Default Re: French OTAN M51 Helmet

Nice Rene, been meaning to pick one up for a while but something else always comes up. Going to start working on it today. I like them a lot. Thanks, John

Me too. I was given a rubber camo cover for one of these,
    but I'm not sure what years they were used.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Hello,

Rubber vcamouflage came out in the 80's.

In the 50's -60's theyr use Nets. In the 70's some use part of camouflaged clmothes fro their helmet.

Concerning greg's very good summary, please note that for the shell, chinstrap bails fixed at a 90 degree angle to the rim will be found for 1951 or 1952 helmets.

In 52 start the swivel bails with differents variations. They become standart like the US m1 later on (53+)

Bruno

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    Me too. I was given a rubber camo cover for one of these,
    but I'm not sure what years they were used.........
    Do you still have it as I'd love to see it Steve

I'm rather a fan of the Mle51 in all its myriad and mystifying forms, and this is one of my favourite aspects. Its an early liner, and one glance will tell why it is often known as the 'yeti', after the contemporaneous interest in supposed yeti-skulls found in Tibetan monasteries.

Its not entirely clear whether his peculiar deformation was strictly an artifact of poor materials and manufacturing, as some have it, or whether the liners were simply badly affected by heat later and thus warped, as others assert.

This one is a Carpentier Cusset 1952 'A' (acetate), and came with a Carpentier '52 shell, so probably a mate for life. So far as I know this deformation (rather more assymetric in real life than the photos show) was only a feature of early runs made of cellulose acetate, and problems were later rectified. This is, I think, a comparatively rare liner, as many were discarded or broken. I can undersand why - it fits badly in the shell and is most unstable. Useless but fascinating.

For lots more info go to the excellent WWH site - .: World War Helmets - France - Casque Modèle TTA 51 :.

French OTAN M51 HelmetFrench OTAN M51 HelmetFrench OTAN M51 HelmetFrench OTAN M51 Helmet

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    Do you still have it as I'd love to see it Steve
    Both sides - brown and green. ( Fits well on the shaker table ! )
    There is a rather thick drawstring around the outer edge,
    and a short length looped through the center.

I'm guessing these are now surplus.........
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture French OTAN M51 Helmet   French OTAN M51 Helmet  

Regards,

Steve.

Thanks Steve and gee wizz I have something similar that I've had since a kid I'll have to find it to compare
    Last edited by reneblacky; 02-01-2012 at 06:45 AM.

Ha I found it easily, looks very similar. I bought this one from a disposals store back in '82 and I always thought it was for the British Turtle helmet!
    Last edited by reneblacky; 05-27-2013 at 06:50 AM.

Quote by Greg Pickersgill View Post
    I'm rather a fan of the Mle51 in all its myriad and mystifying forms, and this is one of my favourite aspects. Its an early liner, and one glance will tell why it is often known as the 'yeti', after the contemporaneous interest in supposed yeti-skulls found in Tibetan monasteries.

Its not entirely clear whether his peculiar deformation was strictly an artifact of poor materials and manufacturing, as some have it, or whether the liners were simply badly affected by heat later and thus warped, as others assert.

This one is a Carpentier Cusset 1952 'A' (acetate), and came with a Carpentier '52 shell, so probably a mate for life. So far as I know this deformation (rather more assymetric in real life than the photos show) was only a feature of early runs made of cellulose acetate, and problems were later rectified. This is, I think, a comparatively rare liner, as many were discarded or broken. I can undersand why - it fits badly in the shell and is most unstable. Useless but fascinating.

For lots more info go to the excellent WWH site - .: World War Helmets - France - Casque Modèle TTA 51 :.

French OTAN M51 HelmetFrench OTAN M51 HelmetFrench OTAN M51 HelmetFrench OTAN M51 Helmet
    Thanks for this extra info and great site you've provided

Great Rene !

Your cover is probably older or was actually issued.
    I had never known what helmet it was for until
    a mate said it was French.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast