Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

French TAP M-56

Article about: by ruddersrangers44 This deffo my quest for 2014.............make no mistake.......... Hi Jake, good plan. They do come up on French Ebay occasionally, but I have spend hour's, and hours ove

Hello,

To add on the topics, here are the 3 types of TAP 51 helmets.

M 51 TAP

French TAP M-56

"Gilles" modification, based on TTA 51 modified in 56 to match the new specification before the actual M56 start beeing produced. Loop for the chinstrap are still the TTA 51 ones.

French TAP M-56

M 56

French TAP M-56

Best regards

Bruno

?

Fantastic examples of the evolution of the M51 Bruno. I particularly like the top 51 TAP example which is a model that has has been on my wishlist for quite some time. I also like the two tone net, overall classic French para helmets very well displayed, many thanks for sharing them here,it's been a pleasure to view them.

Kind regards.

Opex

Thanks a lot Opex for your comment

Just some additional input to an already very good post.

The 2 tones net is a french adaptation of the English SAS net. Some of them were still used.

It was quite used in indochina and then in Algeria.

TAP 51 are not easy to find. It tooks me some time to grab one and I was Lucky enough to get it in good condition. Still missing the chinstrap...
    In fact only the liner is TAP. The shell it the standard one. It isn't very clear how many of these were produced. Not many went to combat. Mostly in Suez but after they went to airborn schools.
    Some people call them M51/53. This is mostly due to the fact they started production in 53 even if the model was already scheduled in 51.
    A nice piece, even it it wasn't really practical when jumping (Like us USM1c).
    The M56 with the 3 points chinstraps adapted from The britich airborn helmet was far more efficient even if not really easy to use : )

All the best

Bruno
    Last edited by bourguignotte; 01-22-2014 at 10:26 PM.

?

Hi Bruno, thanks for the information on the usage of the 51/53 this is very useful information for my research, as well as the information regarding the net, I did not realise it was based on a British design either. I can imagine that the helmet was not the best to jump in too, regards Opex

?

I have managed to source another Lizard Pattern to complete one of my TAP M-56 helmets, this one is another hood but is distinctly different than my other Lizard hood cover. I have seen these type of Hood covers which follows the Mle-64 style of hood used by African nations who are formal French colonies e.g Chad. I would welcome any opinions,thank you looking best regards Opex

French TAP M-56
    French TAP M-56
    French TAP M-56
    French TAP M-56

Very nice opex ,a very desirable helmet and the cover and band look superb on it ,you lucky so and so
    Last edited by James C; 07-26-2020 at 11:37 AM.
    Regards James

?

Quote by James C View Post
    very nice opex ,a very desirable helmet and the cover and band look superb on it ,you lucky so and so

Thanks James, I guess I have had some lucky breaks over the years, but equally there are many helmets in your collection which I am very keen on too and we get to show to each other and the other members here, thanks again buddy

I never thought of it that way ,maybe we should consolidate our lids in a halfway house
    Last edited by James C; 03-16-2024 at 01:55 PM.
    Regards James

?

Quote by James C View Post
    i never thought of it that way ,maybe we should consolidate our lids in a halfway house
    Hi James , Better still a designated Helmet Museum, I would be very passionate about getting involved in a project like this

The best way to value a collection

Back to the Hood, it is effectively a M64 model
    It is very uncomon to find them camouflaged as the french army was using the green "vert armée".
    Most probably an export version with a specific camouflage as you suggested. The camouflage seems a little dirent from the F2 version.

Nice find and very nice display too

Bruno

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast