Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

French TAP M-56

Article about: by ruddersrangers44 This deffo my quest for 2014.............make no mistake.......... Hi Jake, good plan. They do come up on French Ebay occasionally, but I have spend hour's, and hours ove

?

Quote by bourguignotte View Post
    The best way to value a collection

Back to the Hood, it is effectively a M64 model
    It is very uncomon to find them camouflaged as the french army was using the green "vert armée".
    Most probably an export version with a specific camouflage as you suggested. The camouflage seems a little dirent from the F2 version.

Nice find and very nice display too

Bruno
    Salut Bruno, I agree a museum would be the ultimate way to display Helmets, the cover is the exact pattern of the Mle-64 Jacket hood, and the camouflage pattern as you can see is similar but not the same as the Lizard camo pattern, thank you for agreeing with my hunch that this cover ( hood) is more than likely export. I have many African F2 pattern Jackets, which are in a similar Lizard like pattern, some of which have been successfully identified as being from Chad, Cameroun and various other nations, I suspect this hood was attached to one these type of African F2 jackets.

Thank you again, great to discuss this with a fellow fan of TAP-56 helmets, and especially a Frenchman as your nation's military specific information is very much appreciated , kind regards Opex

Hello Opex,

My pleasure.
    It is a very good post with very good information and sharing from pationated people.

Quite a pleasure to participate and help if I can

All the very best

Bruno

Hello

Here is an uncomon M56

French TAP M-56

It was refurbished as no stamping can be seen.
    Therefor the Red stamp for refurbishment do not apear neither
    The back chinstrap in uncomon and was repared.
    It also has a blue circle on the back.
    Usualy this was for company identification but usualy it was triangle of differnt colors. Blue was offen for the 1st company

Bruno

?

Hello Opex,

My pleasure.
    It is a very good post with very good information and sharing from pationated people.

Quite a pleasure to participate and help if I can

All the very best

Bruno
    Salut Bruno, many thanks

?

Salut Bruno, yes a very unusual looking Helmet indeed, and one I would be very keen to see in the hand. I am also intrigued by the circle, I have some French helmets with triangular markings ( Legion ) but none with a circle like this one, I like the replacement rear strap too. Please feel free to post any other of your excellent helmets, I would be very keen to see them, kind regards Opex

Hello Opex,

Yes, circle is quite unusual. And the rear chinstrap is very strange. I cannot figure out how or what it was used for.
    It will be a pleasure to show it to you. Either if you come to Paris or while I go to London. Unfortunatly few opportunities to go elsewhere.

I will try to take other pictures of my helmets. Unfortunatly I didn't do it immediatly...

One photo (bad) to open a discussion on the transitional M56 model.

As you know a new model was adopted in 56 in order to replace the not so efficient TAP51.
    But the production didn't started right away.
    This led to the modification of standard TTA 51 into TAP bad adding a rear loop
    What is called the "Gilles" modification
    French TAP M-56

Then they modified TTA51 at the factories by removing the standard chinstrap and positioning 2 a little more on the front and one on the back. Even if helmet were reapinted (Producer markeing desepeared) we can see the possition of the standard chinstrap before it was removed.
    Usualy, when refurbished, they got a stamp with Renov and the year
    The photo is not very good (sorry) but this one was renoved in 58 to be changed into Tap. Stamp in the middle and on the left.
    French TAP M-56

The standard production started in 59. I heard of helmets dated 58 but never saw one.

All the very best

Bruno

?

Salut Bruno, excellent information and example which add's more interest to this thread regarding these genre of helmets, I am aware that production began in 1958 but have yet to see any examples myself. I have an example of an OTAN 51 that was modified by the manufacturers often quoted as being carried out by the ENT174 factory, and it is clear where the original bales have been ground off and new TAP bales welded on, but sadly it has been painted so there is no evidence of the ENT174 stamp.

Fascinating history behind the development of these helmets,I look forward to seeing more of your examples, and of course in time will add any more examples I source. I often purchase items from France so I am hoping to get another 56 model again.

Kind regards Opex

Hello Opex,

Stamps aren't always very clear and i supsect they may just wanish after some use.

You have the ENT stamps but it could alos be RENOV one's.

All the very best

Bruno

?

Hello Opex,

Stamps aren't always very clear and i supsect they may just wanish after some use.

You have the ENT stamps but it could alos be RENOV one's.

All the very best

Bruno
    Hi Bruno, many thanks that is a very good point I had not considered before, hopefully this is the case with my Helmet.

Kind regards Opex

?

Default White M-56 TAP

Hi Fellow collectors, here's another M-TAP 56 from my collection this one as can be seen, is painted in a white gloss ( and not very nicely at that) , I am not sure if there is a specific reason for it being painted this colour, or whether someone decided to "decorate" it either way all present and correct apart from the liner. I would be keen to hear your theories behind the coat of paint, and thanks for looking.

French TAP M-56
    French TAP M-56
    French TAP M-56
    French TAP M-56
    French TAP M-56
    French TAP M-56

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast