Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

French TAP M-56

Article about: by ruddersrangers44 This deffo my quest for 2014.............make no mistake.......... Hi Jake, good plan. They do come up on French Ebay occasionally, but I have spend hour's, and hours ove

Very nice opex,these tap Lids are like ultra rare,I've been looking for a lifetime and as yet never come across one,owning more than one example is top quality stuff indeed,well done..............

?

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    Very nice opex,these tap Lids are like ultra rare,I've been looking for a lifetime and as yet never come across one,owning more than one example is top quality stuff indeed,well done..............
    Thanks for looking Jake, yes they are pretty slim on the ground compared to the M-51, I often scour ebay just looking out for the TAP examples, sometimes I get a bargain, perseverance is the key to securing one of these models.

Thanks again buddy

You must be looking at the other ebay site you know the one in the twilight zone,i look and only find Otan models,how bizarre indeed,specsavers for me i thinks.........

Hello Opex,

TAP 56 are very clearly more difficult to find than any other M51. I guess, that this alos linked to the fact they were dedicated to paratroopers that vere less numerous than the others troops;
    I also suspect that many of these helmets, where lately concerted to police helmet by beeing overpainted in bleu or fully refurbished.

The white sample is uncomon. Mostly for a shell.

Some liners were painted in white for guards (Security personels for events, base entrance security...).
    I didn't came across a white shell were i was but 1 exmaple do not make the rule

I am not convienced by a "chasseur alpin" helmet with a white camouflage as this would be provided by the snow overcoat

Nice quest and nice helmet : )

All the best

Bruno

?

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    You must be looking at the other ebay site you know the one in the twilight zone,i look and only find Otan models,how bizarre indeed,specsavers for me i thinks.........
    Hi Jake, no not at all this one came from Ebay UK , and I bought it within the last month and paid £5.00...it was a birthday present to myself.

My top tip is that I generally look out for any and all M-51 shaped helmet and then study the photo's carefully, looking out for the three bales!

In my experience many sellers do not realise that they are selling an M-56, rather the more common M-51..if they did realise they should charge a lot more, and in all sincerity if I come across another M-56 on UK ebay I will give you a heads up ( or rather I will send you a PM )

Thanks again for your contribution to this discussion buddy,most appreciated.

?

Quote by bourguignotte View Post
    Hello Opex,

TAP 56 are very clearly more difficult to find than any other M51. I guess, that this alos linked to the fact they were dedicated to paratroopers that vere less numerous than the others troops;
    I also suspect that many of these helmets, where lately concerted to police helmet by beeing overpainted in bleu or fully refurbished.

The white sample is uncomon. Mostly for a shell.

Some liners were painted in white for guards (Security personels for events, base entrance security...).
    I didn't came across a white shell were i was but 1 exmaple do not make the rule

I am not convienced by a "chasseur alpin" helmet with a white camouflage as this would be provided by the snow overcoat

Nice quest and nice helmet : )

All the best

Bruno
    Salut Bruno, yes in my experience a great deal of these models have indeed been converted to Gendarme usage, and in their original state are fairly rare.

I have carried out some research and have not found any definitive evidence that these TAP helmets were painted white for any specific purpose or by any particular unit of the French Army, and I would completely agree with your theory on this helmet not being used by an Chasseur Alpin unit , as you stated a white cover would be used hence negating the need for paint!

Perhaps someone who owned this model previously to me , decided that painting it white was a good idea at the time ? I did consider stripping the white paint off and trying to restore it back to the original green finish, but feel it could ruin it and ultimately would be easier to place a suitable Sateen cover over the shell to disguise it!

Many thanks for your theories and comments Bruno, I was hoping you would share your ideas and I am glad you did as I rely on your expertise on these models.

Kind regards,Opex

Hello Opex,

"Expertise" is perhaps a little too much for the small experience I am please to share

Concerning Stripping the white color, I would recomend not.
    - 1st, it look old and may have been done for a good reason. I would wait till I have some evidences before starting any work that would alter his history (I speak by experience, unfortunatly )
    - 2d, even a long and very carefull work, will not bring back the initial look of the original helmet. At Worth, we do not know at all what is below. So best is to keep what we have instead of, most probably, getting something Worth.

IMO of course

Bruno

?

Hello Opex,

"Expertise" is perhaps a little too much for the small experience I am please to share

Concerning Stripping the white color, I would recomend not.
    - 1st, it look old and may have been done for a good reason. I would wait till I have some evidences before starting any work that would alter his history (I speak by experience, unfortunatly )
    - 2d, even a long and very carefull work, will not bring back the initial look of the original helmet. At Worth, we do not know at all what is below. So best is to keep what we have instead of, most probably, getting something Worth.

IMO of course

Bruno
    Salut Bruno, well as humble as you are, I still feel you are more experienced in all things "Casques de l'armée française" than me

I quite agree the paint finish does apper to quite old, and therefore could relate to some specific purpose, as previously mentioned I can always place a suitable cover over the shell. and will not attempt to remove it.

I too have had some disasters regarding stripping helmets of paint finishes, and results were not aesthetically pleasing to say the least.

Thank you again for your contribution to this topic, kind regards.

Opex

Salut Opex,

Too bad for you, you will have to keep your white helmet as it is : )

Everybody knows the Blue boys action squad (blue helmet) used by the ONU peacekeeper? Sure!

In fact, in paralle was created a non affiliated organisation for Observators in several places like libanon, or africa, were limlited numbers of militaries were keeping an eyes on what was happening

Please find below some links:

http://casques-blancs.hautetfort.com...54a755ca23.pdf

La Flèche. L

Economic Community of West African States Cease-fire Monitoring Group

Clearly a nice and uncomon found

Congratulation Opex

Bruno

?

Salut Opex,

Too bad for you, you will have to keep your white helmet as it is : )

Everybody knows the Blue boys action squad (blue helmet) used by the ONU peacekeeper? Sure!

In fact, in paralle was created a non affiliated organisation for Observators in several places like libanon, or africa, were limlited numbers of militaries were keeping an eyes on what was happening

Please find below some links:

http://casques-blancs.hautetfort.com...54a755ca23.pdf

La Flèche. L

Economic Community of West African States Cease-fire Monitoring Group

Clearly a nice and uncomon found

Congratulation Opex

Bruno
    Salut Bruno,

Many thanks for the links which clearly demonstrates the use of the helmet used by Observers and UN troops, which make very interesting reading

Your links have inspired me to carry out a little more research into the reasoning behind this model of helmet being painted white, and found this French based collector, which goes some way to demonstrate some Mle -51 models painted white, but so much why a MLe -56 TAP!

LE MODÈLE MILITAIRE 1956

LE MODÈLE 1951

Many thanks again for your contributions.

Cordialement Opex

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast