Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Helmets

Article about: by emileverbunt The top left one seems to be a Slovenian helmet (VEPLAS). The bottom left one seems to me an early French M51 TAP liner in a late US M-1 shell. This combination is not origin

?

Quote by emileverbunt View Post
    The top left one seems to be a Slovenian helmet (VEPLAS).

The bottom left one seems to me an early French M51 TAP liner in a late US M-1 shell. This combination is not original.

Nice helmets though!

Cheers,
    Emile
    This makes sense Emile , that is what I was trying to figure out , I am aware the French wore M1's, perhaps a US supplied shell was then matched with a Mle 51 liner?

Quote by emileverbunt View Post
    The top left one seems to be a Slovenian helmet (VEPLAS).

Cheers,
    Emile
    Emile, I am not convinced by that at all. In fact I do not know what that helmet is. It has the shape and form of the Yugoslav M89 (produced before the Independence Wars) in that is sits much flatter to the horizontal than any of the Slovene helmets, but it does not - apparently - have the several visible liner bolts of the M89. And the edging around the rim seems thicker and heaver than other M89s I have seen. Some better more detailed pics would be useful.

Helmets

Hello Greg,

You have a point there! The insignia put me off the right track I am afraid. I gave my opnion too soon and not founded. I'll upload a possible candidate, I have from the unparelled site World War Helmets. .: World War Helmets - Casque Modèle 89 :.

Cheers,
    Emile

BTW: it is not even a Slovenian insignia, but a Yugoslav Army or police variant. I was wrong on all fronts!

i initially said slovenian because of the tricolour frontal decal ,i too would be interested to learn more on it

Hi James,

I just corrected my earlier opinion.

Cheers,
    Emile

A lot of Slavic nations, including in this instance Slovenia, use red/white/blue horizontal tricolours but not necessarily in the same top-to-bottom order (think of the confusion if they were all the same...). Slovenia is white/blue/red and I think all of its insignia incorporate the stylised three peaks of Mount Triglav (an important Slovene symbol). The Serb flag is red/blue/white and insignia may also feature a double-headed eagle.

It would look like Emile has located the right helmet (which I missed, unobservantly); it seems to be a later production variant of the M89 specifically for police (in the broadest sense) use. All info on the WWHelmets site as indicated by Emile. Well done that man, keeping his eyes open! As to why this helmet is army green with a police sticker (which might usually be on a dark blue helmet) on the front, I dunno boss.
    Last edited by Greg Pickersgill; 03-25-2014 at 08:27 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2