Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Help identifying Danish Helmet (likely WWII)

Article about: Hi, I believe that this is a WWII Danish helmet, but have not really been able to confirm this by browsing online. Can anyone help identify? There are no stampings or markings on the inside

Default Help identifying Danish Helmet (likely WWII)

Hi,
    I believe that this is a WWII Danish helmet, but have not really been able to confirm this by browsing online. Can anyone help identify? There are no stampings or markings on the inside or under the liner.

Thanks.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help identifying Danish Helmet (likely WWII)   Help identifying Danish Helmet (likely WWII)  

Help identifying Danish Helmet (likely WWII)   Help identifying Danish Helmet (likely WWII)  

Help identifying Danish Helmet (likely WWII)   Help identifying Danish Helmet (likely WWII)  

Help identifying Danish Helmet (likely WWII)  

It appears to be a model 1923 Danish helmet. I cannot confirm the type of issue (Civil or Armed forces) and the date of the liner. NH

This is Danish, absolutely, but it is not the M1923 model that was military issue during the Second World War. This is the M23/41, a rather lighter helmet that was produced primarily for civil defence use during the war, and continued on in use for many years in the Danish CD after the war. Take a look here -

M.1923 helmet (M.1923-41) - military equipment of the 20. century

.: World War Helmets - Casque Modèle 23/41 :.

Good helmet, worth having.

How many years post war did the 41 cd model continue Greg

Quote by James C View Post
    How many years post war did the 41 cd model continue Greg
    That's a sort of how long is a piece of string thing. For all I know they're still in CD bunkers across Denmark even today. Some were even updated with Riddel-type suspensions, new straps and a fresh new coat of grey textured paint some years ago. It may be that the real 'collectors item' now is the original form from the 1940s, which I believe is as the OP showed above. There certainly are two or three different post-war finishes. (By the way, I got mine from a man in the Faroe Islands about fifteen years ago - so they did travel a bit!)

Here are a couple of pics of the later refurbished shell. This is definately a lighter M23/41 shell, and from the no longer occupied fixing holes I suspect it was once used by the Danish Railways, with their distinctive round brass button insignia. I don't know exactly when this refurb was done, but I would guess last quarter 20thC.

Help identifying Danish Helmet (likely WWII)Help identifying Danish Helmet (likely WWII)
    Last edited by Greg Pickersgill; 05-15-2017 at 12:29 PM.