Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Hungarian M50 helmet

Article about: Hello to all, I want to show you this Hungarian M50 helmet, I found it in a junk shop; it is in very good condition and complete with all its parts, although it has been used. An interesting

Excellent clarification. That's a remarkable thread altogether, Fabe. You're certianly creating a very comprehensive collection. I envy you!

Anyway, I have something to look for, the later period M70. I am sure I have not seen one for sale in the British Isles so far, but then I admit I would not have known what to look for.

Many Thanks, Fabe for having shared many quality information.
    I am always amazed by the knowledge and ability to deepen the topic that have experts like you.
    Congratulation for the study you have done and for your fine collection.

Cheers
    Roberto

Dom
    ?

Great thread Guy's

Congrats!

Well, I am still thinking about the Hungarian M50. Do you know there are more than five threads about it within this 'World Steel Helmets' section of Warrelics? They really all ought to be put together somehow - see Hungarian M50 - Some Comparative Pics , hungarian model 50 helmet , Hungarian M-50 , Post-war Hungarian helmet...I think. . There's a LOT of good information.

But not quite enough (unless I have overlooked it). I still wonder whether the Hungarians re-used any Russian-made shells before the local production of the M50 started properly. There is a hint about this on the World War Helmets website, where they say (translted from French) -

""However, it is likely that the hulls of Russian helmets Ssh40 have been used to be reconditioned helmet model 50 before the start of production of the latter."

OK, so we know that ssh40 shells were rebuilt by the Czechs for the earliest vz53, so it may be not impossible that the Hungarians did the same thing. But they should be identifiable by the star stamp on Russian-made ssh40 shells. Does this seem true? Does anyone know. I have 15 Hungarian M50 - some of which more like the ssh40 than I would expect (the shape of the brim, size of the upturned lip, etc) - so I do wonder. But I cannot find any stamped stars. Is this a crazy idea in the first place? Does our expert, Fabe, know anything about re-used Russian shells?

?

Greg: By no means i'm an expert
    I can only rely on Hungarian sources - which states: production started in late 1949 - the first few thousand pieces were made with the red-star within the tri-color Hungarian flag circle decals - but then they realized; that's not really a good idea in combat situation - so those helmets were to be parade-helmets only.
    As far as I know, no Soviet shells were ever re-used, before 1950, the Hungarian army used the German stlyle M35 helmets (also made in Hungary) - those were repainted dark-green (from the pre-1945 light green) and were called: M47 helmets.

Well, thank you Fabe. That's useful information. Sometimes even 'no evidence' can prove a point! It may be that the differences I think I see in my M50s are just manufacturing variations.

There are few markings of any kind - other than the white size marks on some - on any of my M50s. I don't even know how many manufacturers there were - can you tell me?

Quote by Fabe View Post
    Greg: By no means i'm an expert
    I can only rely on Hungarian sources - which states: production started in late 1949 - the first few thousand pieces were made with the red-star within the tri-color Hungarian flag circle decals - but then they realized; that's not really a good idea in combat situation - so those helmets were to be parade-helmets only.
    As far as I know, no Soviet shells were ever re-used, before 1950, the Hungarian army used the German stlyle M35 helmets (also made in Hungary) - those were repainted dark-green (from the pre-1945 light green) and were called: M47 helmets.
    Hello Fabe,
    I believe that the M47 you quote is this model, of which I show the photos, correct?

Cheers
    Roberto

Hungarian M50 helmetHungarian M50 helmetHungarian M50 helmetHungarian M50 helmet

?

Yes.
    Also, besides the Hungarian M35 helmets, a bunch of left-over German helmets (all 3 types) from the siege of Budapest, etc. were painted dark green and were used until late 1949.

See this German M42, as an M47:
    Hungarian M50 helmetHungarian M50 helmetHungarian M50 helmet

Quote by OldSteel View Post
    Hello Fabe,
    I believe that the M47 you quote is this model, of which I show the photos, correct?

Cheers
    Roberto

Hungarian M50 helmetHungarian M50 helmetHungarian M50 helmetHungarian M50 helmet

Thanks Fabe,
    nice the M42/47, I had never seen before.

Cheers

Default M50 hungarian fireman's helmet with insignia

Interesting M50 fireman's helmet from my collection. Roman number IX has been painted on the front indicating the 9th district of Budapest (Ferencváros). Another unusual feature is the hooked chinstrap buckle on this example.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast