Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

IDF ISRAELI helmets arab israeli wars, 1967 - 1982

Article about: I have two British Mark IIs acquired separately. One had a page of Hebrew newspaper stuffed in it (this was in Texas!!!) My question: Does the Israeli connection mentioned in the description

Hi all. I have really enjoyed this thread so I thought I would contribute.
    Heres a IDF 1960s - 70s M1 clone I have just acquired. It has Military Police (MP) in Hebrew in red lettering on the front and tan paint over the original OD paint on the outer.
    It has lots of nice markings on the liner,chinstrap and shell.
    Its a little beat up with a few small dents on the crown etc but its all part of the story this helmet tells.
    Im really happy with it and its a pretty rare find in this end of the world.
    The guy I bought it from also had more IDF gear and I just bought a 1974 dated Flak vest, field jacket and back harness from him which will make a great display with this lid. Enjoy.
    Jason
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture IDF ISRAELI helmets arab israeli wars, 1967 - 1982   IDF ISRAELI helmets arab israeli wars, 1967 - 1982  

IDF ISRAELI helmets arab israeli wars, 1967 - 1982   IDF ISRAELI helmets arab israeli wars, 1967 - 1982  

IDF ISRAELI helmets arab israeli wars, 1967 - 1982   IDF ISRAELI helmets arab israeli wars, 1967 - 1982  

?

Thant's a great helmet I'v just got a idf m1 helmet and it hasn't got half the markings that your has. Thanks for sharing the photos.

?

One more for the thread....I vote this to be the first sticky of the section
    French TAP-50 second model of the 202 (1975)

This was given to me on my recent trip to Israel, it is a helmet that was only used by IDF paratrooper instructors. I had no reason to doubt the story but did confirm it with someone that had been through the course.

IDF ISRAELI helmets arab israeli wars, 1967 - 1982 IDF ISRAELI helmets arab israeli wars, 1967 - 1982

IDF ISRAELI helmets arab israeli wars, 1967 - 1982 IDF ISRAELI helmets arab israeli wars, 1967 - 1982

It’s not in the best condition, but has probably had extensive use. Named to Yaron Hadar

Here you can see the fiberglass shell which replaced the cork of the first model.

I had no idea these were used so it was a nice surprise.
    Steve.

?

Many thanks Steve an interesting turn of events to say the least ,I of course new these were used by France and Cambodia to mention a couple but usage by the IDF comes as a welcome surprise I was happy to have an example of one of these TAP 50 202's grace my shelves already but this does add a little something else that makes it all the more interesting. .

Regards Mark

Nice IDF paratrooper training helmet.
    I'll have a look and see of a photo of a complete setup.
    In the meantime, here's a period photo

As promised.

?

Quote by magicdutchmen View Post
    As promised.
    Nice photo, where is it from?
    Steve.

Taken at the IDF history museum in Tel Aviv.

?

I know there are already a number of these helmets in the thread but I’m very pleased with my latest addition.

Classic Israeli HSAT with covered with both sack and net, held in place with two inner tube strips that have been in place for years and bonded together as the rubber has aged.

The liner is not BMB marked and I think consensus is that they are locally made. The only downer is that the original oval pad had come un stuck form the shell.

I read somewhere that these helmets were supplied from French surplus after WWII, the link below also references a French paratroop unit equipped with HSATs.
    www.world-war-helmets.com/fiche.php?q=Casque-Francais-Mle-51-TAP-et-Mle-56-TAP - Translator

The person that owned the store I bought this in told me that during his service this model helmet was known as the ‘French helmet’ and it wasn’t until he started selling them that he found out they were actually a British model. I’m not convinced that all would have come from France, but it does look like at least the early deliveries were.

I’ve been on a hunt to see if it can be proved either way if the IDF M1 variant was used by paratroopers. Talking to him, he did his national service as a paratrooper in the early to mid 70s, he only ever wore the ‘French helmet’ HSAT, this is an important part of the timeline. It’s not really clear when the M1 variant was first issued, but I haven’t seen it in Six Day War (1967) photos, and it is widely used by the Yom Kippur War (1973) I think I have found a photo of credited as the War of Attrition (1968-69/70) that shows one but it is too small and dark to be sure.
    So, it’s clear that the M1 was available within his period of national service and first reserve (serving in a paratroop battalion) but not used, not proof but creeping body of evidence.

Another odd fact I realized, Suez (1957) would have had Israeli, Egyptian and British paras all using the same helmet in the same conflict.

I also bought, in a moment of madness a complete set of 1975 dated IDF webbing, add that to my haul of Arab army badges, Jordanian berets and army flag, campaign ribbons and some other odds and ends, there are some benefits in working away from home.

Steve.

Very nice indeed Steve my only recent IDF pickup was this later issue helmet bandIDF ISRAELI helmets arab israeli wars, 1967 - 1982

Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast