Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

IDF ISRAELI helmets arab israeli wars, 1967 - 1982

Article about: I have two British Mark IIs acquired separately. One had a page of Hebrew newspaper stuffed in it (this was in Texas!!!) My question: Does the Israeli connection mentioned in the description

Default Re: IDF ISRAELI helmets arab israeli wars, 1967 - 1982

I have two British Mark IIs acquired separately. One had a page of Hebrew newspaper stuffed in it (this was in Texas!!!)

My question: Does the Israeli connection mentioned in the descriptions below make sense? Did the Brits give the Israelis surplus Mark IIs post 1952?

"British desert camouflage Mark II helmet with shell made by Rubery Owen and Co. of Leeds, in 1940, with Size 7 liner marked CCL II 1952. British army surplus helmet reportedly provided to Israeli Army prior to Suez/Sinai War 29 Oct.-6 Nov. 1956. Chinstrap is Mark III issued late in the Second World War. Mark III liner securing bolt is locked with a Simmonds elastic stop nut."

"British desert camouflage Mark II helmet with shell made by Briggs Motor Bodies of Dagenham, and liner marked CCL II 1952. British army surplus helmet reportedly provided to Israeli Army prior to Suez/Sinai War 29 Oct.-6 Nov. 1956. Chinstrap is Mark III issued late in the Second World War. Mark III liner securing bolt is locked with a Simmonds elastic stop nut."

I served with the British Army in the ME in the 1950s. Issued Mark IIIs or IVs but never wore them or painted them.

Any ideas? Canal Zone?

Cheers,

Pat

IDF ISRAELI helmets arab israeli wars, 1967 - 1982IDF ISRAELI helmets arab israeli wars, 1967 - 1982IDF ISRAELI helmets arab israeli wars, 1967 - 1982

Arab - Israeli war era MKIII

Heres a British MKIII that has been repainted desert tan and relined, has light markings written on liner but cant tell if it's Arabic or Hebrew? the tan cotton chin strap doesnt look British either, the liner is attached with a rivet not by screw

this type of helmet could have been used during the Suez/Sinai War 29 Oct.-6 Nov. 1956

British helmets & web gear were used by both Arab and Israeli ground forces

As you say, Battle Gear, both sides were using British kit...or American, or knock-offs of one or the other.

Still puzzled by the 1952 date on the British linings of my Mark II helmets. The Brits had pretty much abandoned the Mark II by then although warehouses were full of surplus and Civil Defence stuff.

Funny things happened...I took a Mark 4 Lee Enfield with me on a day-trip to Libya in 1958, although the books will tell you that the army was equipped with 7.62 FNs by then.

My sand-textured helmets are much lighter in color than yours but definitely not white.

Cheers,

PG

a photo taken during the Sinai War in 1956

they appear to be wearing M1 type helmets and they have UZI sub machine guns and Mauser rifles

Great thread battle gear ! some rare helmets that are not often if ever discussed...by the way I got the West German M58 you pointed out on E-Bay ! THANKS !
    Prost ! Steve.

Quote by oradour View Post
    Great thread battle gear ! some rare helmets that are not often if ever discussed...by the way I got the West German M58 you pointed out on E-Bay ! THANKS !
    Prost ! Steve.
    Im glad you won the helmet that you were looking for at a great price Steve! it looks like it's in nice used condition with original finish

I should have titled this thread Helmets used in the middle east from any country

they also used the West German M58 / M60 here is an example used by Iran from the Iran Iraq war

http://www.webalice.it
    Last edited by battle gear; 03-21-2011 at 06:38 PM.

battle gear, I have only just digested this information, as a good friend of mine who collects nothing but "World Steel Helmets",was round and I was showing him my meagre collection, when he informed of the Iraqi/Iranian connection......fascinating !
    Prost ! Steve.

IDF ISRAELI helmets arab israeli wars, 1967 - 1982IDF ISRAELI helmets arab israeli wars, 1967 - 1982IDF ISRAELI helmets arab israeli wars, 1967 - 1982

http://www.quanonline.com/military/m.../b_para_in.jpg

Israeli Paratrooper's British-made Mk-II Steel Helmet, Six-Day War

British manufactured Mk-II produced specifically for paratroopers. It features a burlap/hessian cloth cover under a khaki netting fastened by a black rubber band. The interior is lined with rubber padding, a leather sweatband, and a cloth suspension. The chinstrap is a three-point system with a leather chin cup. The Mk-II helmet was first produced in 1944 and was used through the 1980s. It was widely issued in this configuration during the Six-Day War

Israeli Paratrooper's British-made Mk-II Steel Helmet, Six-Day War
    Last edited by battle gear; 03-27-2011 at 03:38 AM.

>>

?

This is the thread that hooked to the forum, Israeli helmets are rarely discussed but very interesting, when you find them they may have been modified but never messed with and are always tactile and you know they have a story. I've finally got around to digging mine out.

Below is M1 converted to take a British para liner. There are no markings on the liner anywhere, British or Israeli so I don't know if it is a local copy. There is also a round crown pad from a Brodie MkII in the top, this is normally an additon for para helmets. You can see where the M1 bails have been removed. I also have the sack cover and net but the inner tube broke
    A guess at the date would be 60's or earlier.

I have a British MkII para and an M76/85 which I will post later.
    Steve.

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast