Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Info on this US style helmet

Article about: I just got this this morning and as stated by the seller (ebay) it was a ww2 but i include photo that i took this morning and ask you guys expert if it's a ww2 or vietnam ect the helmet have

Default Info on this US style helmet

I just got this this morning and as stated by the seller (ebay) it was a ww2 but i include photo that i took this morning and ask you guys expert if it's a ww2 or vietnam ect
    the helmet have been repaint and the chinstrap does not belong to it i am sure but for 17$ i am happy but very curious .There is some marking in the liner but i can't read it at all .
    Thanks for the help
    Frenchy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Info on this US style helmet   Info on this US style helmet  

Info on this US style helmet   Info on this US style helmet  

Info on this US style helmet   Info on this US style helmet  

Default re: Info on this US style helmet

The liner is definately post WW2, 'Nam era maybe!

The helmet looks ok. It looks like a front seam..... which is a good sign! American M1 helmets were made with a front seam up until 1945

Lee

?

The liner is post Vietnam about 1975 or later. The helmet is a WWII produced lid but has had a repaint or two in it's day. Probably a reissue for Korea and 'Nam at best. I'm not sure but judging by the pictures it may not even be a U.S. made helmet. The chin straps are not U.S. military. Whatever the case, this is definitely not WWII as the seller led you to believe.

Hello Lee!
    I check it better and the seam is at the back of the helmet and the liner inside is marked M19 so if it's a vietman era were those helmet light green or a darker shade like the paint on the one i have cause inside you can see 2 shade of green .
    Frenchy

Quote by Bugme View Post
    The liner is post Vietnam about 1975 or later. The helmet is a WWII produced lid but has had a repaint or two in it's day. Probably a reissue for Korea and 'Nam at best. I'm not sure but judging by the pictures it may not even be a U.S. made helmet. The chin straps are not U.S. military. Whatever the case, this is definitely not WWII as the seller led you to believe.
    Thanks bugme for the info oh well for 17$ it have a little place on my shelf so it may rest in peace .
    My question to you is if i decided to take out the paint could i end up with some original paint left or it's not worth it ?
    Frenchy

Quote by frenchy View Post
    Hello Lee!
    I check it better and the seam is at the back of the helmet and the liner inside is marked M19 so if it's a vietman era were those helmet light green or a darker shade like the paint on the one i have cause inside you can see 2 shade of green .
    Frenchy
    Arrrhh, sorry mate, it looked like a front seam on one of the pics!

If I was you, I'd completely strip the whole helmet of paint, and then refurbish it yourself to make it look like a period 101st or 2nd ranger helmet! It'd make a nice display peice!

Good luck buddy!

?

Quote by frenchy View Post
    Thanks bugme for the info oh well for 17$ it have a little place on my shelf so it may rest in peace .
    My question to you is if i decided to take out the paint could i end up with some original paint left or it's not worth it ?
    Frenchy
    For $17.00 you didn't loose anything. It would still make a great reenactors helmet or a representative piece like WoodyUK said. You could try stripping the over-paint off and get it back to the original finish to see what it looks like. For the amount you have invested, it's worth doing an experiment.

Thanks again for the advice i will have a week vacation next week and that is what i will try to do strip the paint and see what will happen.

Frenchy

Exclamation Dont strip the paint!

hello Frenchy,

the paint thats on the helmet right now is a nice period repaint , probably Vietnam era! I would not try to strip it, because it will remove the coarse texture and will never look original again if you strip and repaint it, Ive never seen a spray painted helmet that looks authentic, it's better to leave it "as is" and add some Vietnam era chin straps and a camo cover or net to make a nice VN or Korean war helmet.

the paint thats on it right now looks great, dont mess it up.

every repainted helmet Ive seen done by people with spray paint always looks fake, like it was done yesterday, the paint thats on the helmet right now looks period, like it's been painted many years ago, very hard to duplicate original period paint and aging.

thats why I would not repaint it, it doesnt need it

I was tempted to do it but knowing myself i would probably scarp or kill that poor helmet that is why i would think twice before doing anything to the paint.I like the idea of adding thing to it to make it look better that i can do without scraping the whole project lol!

Frenchy