Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Iraqi M80 helmet - took a punt!

Article about: Hi all, Rigglet here, brand new to the world of M80 helmets and this forum so thought I'd pop a couple of photo's on for advice and comments on a helmet I took a complete gamble on at a loca

Default Iraqi M80 helmet - took a punt!

Hi all,

Rigglet here, brand new to the world of M80 helmets and this forum so thought I'd pop a couple of photo's on for advice and comments on a helmet I took a complete gamble on at a local antiques auction. It was listed as post-war M1 liner but my initial inspection led to believe there was more to it due to it being so damn thick and having a chin strap so I took a punt at £35 and won. I'd spent all week trying to ID it and only stumbled across it's identity having spotted a similar one at Malvern Militaria Convention today marked up as a 1st Gulf War bring back. That led me to your fantastic site and alas plenty of pictures of similar helmets!

So here it is, comments welcome as other then what I've read here I know nothing about it. Was £35 a reasonable gamble?

Iraqi M80 helmet - took a punt!Iraqi M80 helmet - took a punt!Iraqi M80 helmet - took a punt!

It appears to have the rear support missing and I'm curious as to the burn mark and lumpy stuff of the top. Whilst the photo makes it look like damage it's actually seems to be a fibrous material stuck on the shell which does chip off leaving undamaged material underneath. Signs of active service or mishandling I wonder?

I look forward to your input, with thanks!

Default Re: Iraqi M80 helmet - took a punt!

You've got a good looking helmet there at a fair price. These are actually South Korean produced M76 hemets that were supplied to Iraq which designated them as M80. Most that were obtainted by Iraq were painted desert tan, many have markings on them, the most prized being that of the Republican Guard. Several members here have these, search around and you'll see some great examples.

The South Korean M76 was exported to several other counties as well but the Iraq M80 seems to be the most common examples.

Regards,

Russ

?

£35.00 is about right. These are often seen on auction sites being sold as M1 liners. You have a very nice example, well done and welcome to the forum.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

Thanks chaps your replies are very much appreciated. I'm glad I took the chance on this one it's nice to know my instinct didn't bite me. What's interesting is that it stumped three different militaria collectors when actually it turns out to be a very relevant piece. It opened my eyes to the fact that I've seen very little in the way of pieces from the 1st Gulf War - is it an overlooked conflict in terms of collectables or have I just not noticed this stuff out there?

nice example ,i dont think ive ever seen one of these m80's in green or desert tan that doesnt have the paint wear marks around the crown exposing the composite fabric

Thanks Col glad to know I've got something half decent! As with most here I'm sure with their own pieces, I only wish I knew the story of how it came to be here.

?

Quote by Rigglet View Post
    Thanks Col glad to know I've got something half decent! As with most here I'm sure with their own pieces, I only wish I knew the story of how it came to be here.
    An Iraqi threw it away.

the burn mark on top could be from battle damage, maybe it was found in a burned out vehicle or other place where it was thrown near hot debris from a destroyed bunker or something?

another possibilty it could be from the Highway of Death

Highway of Death "Kuwait Basra" 26 February 1991

The Highway of Death refers to a road between Kuwait and Basra on which civilians and minor retreating units of the Iraqi army were brutally attacked and completely destroyed by American aircrafts during the United Nations Coalition offensive in the Gulf War, on the night of February 26 - February 27, 1991.

Highway of Death "Kuwait Basra" 26 February 1991 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Iraqi M80 helmet - took a punt!  
    Attached Images Attached Images Iraqi M80 helmet - took a punt! 

Thank you battle gear, certainly a potent image of it's possible final hours in Iraqi hands. I suppose the material and it's adhesive bonding component must have been rather volatile in such situations.

Of course as your fellow contributor so subtly points out before you it may just have been ditched, though being ex-Armed Forces myself I had pretty much reached that conclusion as a possible reason for it's surrender but thank you all the same!

rigglet im really fond of these lids if you dont mind id like to show you my pair ,both in desert paintIraqi M80 helmet - took a punt!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast