Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is this an Israeli six day war paratrooper helmet?

Article about: Hello, I just received this helmet and my gut impression is that it might be a British produced Israeli used paratrooper helmet from the period of the six day war. Am I close or just totally

Default Is this an Israeli six day war paratrooper helmet?

Hello, I just received this helmet and my gut impression is that it might be a British produced Israeli used paratrooper helmet from the period of the six day war. Am I close or just totally delusional? I know nothing about it other then what are in the pictures. Any facts and/or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Btw..there is writing of some sort on each strap, to me it looks possibly Hebrew.. or am I delusional on that also?

Again, thank you for any input.

Wade
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Is this an Israeli six day war paratrooper helmet?   Is this an Israeli six day war paratrooper helmet?  

Is this an Israeli six day war paratrooper helmet?   Is this an Israeli six day war paratrooper helmet?  

Is this an Israeli six day war paratrooper helmet?   Is this an Israeli six day war paratrooper helmet?  

?

Hi Wade, my initial thought was that it look's like an Israeli used piece, the netting and rubber band is the type worn by the IDF, I am not an expert on British WW2 para helmets to be fair ,but there are plenty of other members who will be able to correctly identify this helmet for you.

Personally I really like it and would be proud to have it in my collection, there are a number of IDF helmets in this section perhaps if you check them out it might help you to feel more confident about this example

Looks like a fine Israeli example to me. Could be used during the six day war and after that.
    Will ask a buddy about translation.

Cheers

I think it's a very nice complete and original example of a Israeli used paratrooper's helmet, the same type that would have been used in the Six Day War back in 1967

?

Looks like a great example of an Israeli para helmet. These were used from the late 50s up to the late 70s. The cruciform pad with aluminium rivet is a common modification.

Is the liner stamped with a date or any markings at all?

Very nice helemt.

Thanks for the comments...I cannot find any stamps on liner. I was able to get one strap translated, it reads EZRA. Still no luck on other strap. Very interested in what the white strips of plastic like material are for. Cannot find any pictures of them in use. I did notice that they are pinned on to the burlap. Will keep searching...

Again, thanks guys!

Wade

Quote by Tinhat View Post
    Looks like a great example of an Israeli para helmet. These were used from the late 50s up to the late 70s. The cruciform pad with aluminium rivet is a common modification.

Is the liner stamped with a date or any markings at all?

Very nice helemt.
    Could you tell me where in the liner these were stamped?

?

On the leather sweatband .... (If it's there it will be clear to see).

?

The date would be stamped near the chin strap bails on the liner, if not there then it will be an Israeli made liner I believe.

The white tapes would more than likely be command indicators (section leader, platoon commander etc) rather than rank. I've seen pictures somewhere, I'll see if I can find one.
    It's good to remember thet this helmet had a long life, it may well have been used in a number of conflicts, for example many of the Six Day War pictures do not show the use of the black inner tube.

The writing on the strap is very hard to make out, but it will only be the soldiers name.

I didn't notice the hessian cover on the shell, it really is a nice example.
    Steve.
    Last edited by Tinhat; 10-30-2014 at 04:35 AM.

?

Here's a couple of photo's I came across

The two with the white cross on the helmet, have rank slides on their shouldiers indicating officers, the others could be section leaders, or it could be that every one had them as it looks like a night operation.
    Steve.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast