Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Italian M33 Helmet

Article about: This is my newest helmet. It's my only Italian helmet. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Paul

Default Italian M33 Helmet

Italian M33 HelmetThis is my newest helmet. It's my only Italian helmet. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

PaulItalian M33 Helmet

MAP
    ?

Paul,

These M33's can be a mindfield as they were re-issued/reused and even produced post war. I think up till the 70's or 80's.

The inside looks good. Early green paint, correct chin strap, square bale (vs. trapazoid). The liner could be original as well. Are there any markings on the metal chin strap retainers (on the side facing the helmet). While I can't see it from the pictures very well, the vent gromments also appear correct. Does the leather liner have any preforations indicating the size or any marking underneath?

What I'm not sure about is the outside. Is the color brown? I've never seen a brown M33. I think most post war versions were a very dark green. I also do not recognize the insignia.

So, I think it is a wartime helmet that has had something done to it postwar. But maybe there are others who know some more about this and can opine.

Regards,

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I would completely agree with you Michael, excellent analysis.
    Morris

I understand the insignia to be Royal Italian Army signals.

MAP
    ?

Quote by paul kennedy View Post
    I understand the insignia to be Royal Italian Army signals.
    Thanks Paul,

I don't claim to be an expert on Italian insignia. But here are two websites I've used (one is a PDF of a WWII US Army manual, the other is a forum that had a thread on it. One day I will get a proper Italian research book......)

https://archive.org/stream/TME30-420#page/n197/mode/1up (I think page 197)

AFRIKA KORPS FORUM / Pith Helmets for Italian Officers (at the bottom of the page is a yellow screenshot. I see a Signals type but it is different.

This could be as you note...i just have never seen it before, nor on these reference materials.

Another theory....which is a possibility. The Franco Spanish used these helmets during the Civil war. These helmets had a dark green/brownish color if I remember correctly. Also post war I think they were covered in a brownish green coating/paint as well.........

Regards,

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)